Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop

Banjo Theories & Stop 'n' Swop SNS? Bottle's Revenge? Share your thoughts on the mysteries of the Banjo series and discuss the new Stop 'n' Swop features in Nuts and Bolts and the XBLA games

Old 23rd July 2008, 03:21 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
DK64 - Ice Key Discovery

It's time to reveal the activation of a long lost SNS remnant in DK64. Of course, I am talking about the ice-key that was suppose to appear in the totals menu after cold-swapping from Banjo-kazooie. To make things more clear, please watch the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWLhww_IM6g

Now that you've seen the basics, let me explain how the ice-key is activated in Donkey Kong64. First, there is a value that states if the ice-key has been collected or not.

807FC839 - Icekey quantity

If the ice-key has been collected, this value will be 0x01, otherwise 0x00. When you first start up a Fresh Donkey-Kong64 cartridge(ROM) you will not have the ice-key collected. However, when you reach the following screen http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ro123/dk64.jpg , the state will change to "Ice-key collected" .

Once the ice-key is collected, the state cannot be changed without using a gameshark. Therefore, the ice-key would have been stuck in Dk64s total screen the same way you cannot get rid of the secret items in BKs SNS screen. It would make sense because all items in the Totals screen never go away after you use them anyways.

To activate the ice-key in the menu, use one of these codes and the value 0x0008.

807FC818 - Golden Bananas Menu Modifier
807FC819 - Battle Crowns Menu Modifier
807FC81A - Boss Keys Menu Modifier

Once you do so, you will see that the item's name appears as the Icekey, and that you have 1 / 1 icekeys collected. Makes sense seeing a s there is only one icekey you can collect .

Still no sign of the ice-keys image anywhere. Don't worry though, I'm pretty close to finding that. Once I figure out how to get dk64 running correctly in nemu64, I'll investigate the ice-key code further with some ASM. Try to see what sets the ice-key to 0x01 in memory.

Old 23rd July 2008, 03:35 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Awesome job once again rune.

Old 23rd July 2008, 03:41 AM
Grunty's Reject

Great this is great
I will now bring out my hacking tools and do anything to help you.

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:15 AM
Friendliest Member ('07 -'08)

Total Awards: 9
RWP Note Medal Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 9 Participation Award 
I'm not a hacker, or someone that follows things like that very closely or easily, but the video that you posted really surprised me! I was unaware until now that the ice wall was in Crystal Caves...I knew it was there, but unaware there was a room behind it! That alone made me go:

Also, I was interested to see that the actual image of the Ice Key could remain in DK64; how incredible is that?! To think that they were that far along in DK64's production to include an ice key is awesome; and now, the knowledge the room beyond the wall (in Crystal Caves) exists...well, that's just cool.

Anyhoo, awesome find, and I sure hope you can continue to get good leads on your search, Rune!

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:18 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentstorm
I will now bring out my hacking tools and do anything to help you.
Anything, eh :rolleyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyman
Awesome job once again rune.
Thanks. It's a shame that Donkey Kong64 fails to work correctly with Nemu64. Otherwise it would be pretty simple to find the image that the ice-key menu item uses. It's a possibility that the ice-keys image still exists in dk64. After all, my 2d-image modifier doesn't cover all of the images(camera seems to be missing).

I think this is more important though, because it could reveal potential information about any SNS functionality in Dk64. Even if it never made it past testing stages.

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoss
Also, I was interested to see that the actual image of the Ice Key could remain in DK64; how incredible is that?! To think that they were that far along in DK64's production to include an ice key is awesome; and now, the knowledge the room beyond the wall (in Crystal Caves) exists...well, that's just cool.
Oh er...my apologies. That room is normally there in the final version of Dk64. You have to use Chunky to get through the wall if I can remember correctly. I just used it as an example of what the Ice-wall may have looked like .

Last edited by runehero123; 23rd July 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:21 AM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Dude I checked out your vid.
Its effing historical man.
Bravo bud, Il tell my grandchildren of this discovery

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:21 AM
Bunnycomb

What I'd like to know is what the ice key did in DK64. Maybe we can still activate something through hacking.

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:24 AM
Friendliest Member ('07 -'08)

Total Awards: 9
RWP Note Medal Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 9 Participation Award 
I'm alarmed that I didn't realize that; it's not your fault! XD

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:25 AM
Glowbo

Wowzers. This is pretty ground-breaking.

Old 23rd July 2008, 04:26 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I don't think there's really that much of a chance of something being activated, but I figure if Rune found this little remnant of the Ice Key, it has to be real.

Old 23rd July 2008, 05:50 AM
Brash Breegull

Basic Forum Rules 
Wow. We're still finding new stuff today.

Old 23rd July 2008, 06:02 AM
Brash Breegull

RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Wow, I can't believe this.This is a historical moment!

EDIT: it is also my 444th post!

Old 23rd July 2008, 06:30 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules 
I had heard some people suggest sns connections to DK64 before, but they never carried enough evidence for me to believe they were actually connections. This one though...excellent find. You win a cookie. Enjoy.

Old 23rd July 2008, 08:15 AM
Brash Breegull

and to all the people who thought we had found everything about sns
Pinkbull ~ "Okay going to an Anime convention is one of the nerdiest and weirdest things you can do. And you're afraid, even after you've gotten that far into Loserville, you're afraid of what other NERDS will think of you?"

Old 23rd July 2008, 09:00 AM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 7
INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 11 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Wow great find

It's still good to hear that even after 7 years of hacking we are still finding stuff

Tags
beta, dk64, ice-key, sns