Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 23rd November 2010, 01:49 PM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm on the final boss. Unless something about the ending is really bad (and I'm not expecting a spectacular ending from a game like this), this game is like... 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10 quality. The level design is amazing and my only problems with it are nitpicks. Definitely better than DKC and DKC3, not sure about DKC2.

Last edited by Dylan Yoshi; 23rd November 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Old 23rd November 2010, 07:35 PM
Jolly Rodger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timic83 View Post
It's not anywhere near as good as the first 3 masterpieces. (well maybe not 3)
I personally think it's far better than DKC1, and little better than DKC2 (never played 3 so I can't comment).

This may be the best platformer I've ever played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjo Chao View Post
Excellent! Maybe the music will grow on me more now that I can hear it better. I really hope the song that the Tikis play when they hypnotize the animals is in there, I just love it. I guess you could say it hypnotized me

Old 23rd November 2010, 07:51 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
The rolling in DKC has always been stilted and annoying.

Old 23rd November 2010, 07:58 PM
Mercury Star Power, Make Up~!

Total Awards: 10
Awesome Default Medal You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Game On 
I've been listening to the soundtrack all day. There's a song, it's named something like "Jungle(04),Factory(01)" or something to that effect, and it's based on Donkey Kong Jr. music, which was a pretty cool reference.

Old 23rd November 2010, 08:20 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Getting it today! I'm inviting my friends to come and play it too!

Old 24th November 2010, 12:33 AM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
I'm on stage 5-2, and now I will share my thoughts.

The music. Don't like it. The soundtrack depends far too much on remixes of familiar tunes (as good as those are) and, with the exception of Mast Blast, the new themes don't really stand out at all. So far, I haven't heard the theme from the Gametrailers E3 trailers anywhere, and I really really liked it.

The Tiki Tak Tribe... they're all right. I mean, can't imagine most of them being any kind of threat to the Kongs, since, c'mon, most of them don't even have any arms! I really like the helmet-wearing tikis that can't be defeated until you stun them with a hand slap and flip their heads upside-down, but those are the only ones that really stand out for me. I really miss the old mooks, especially the bees; those brown spinning pinwheel things don't have any personality. But the animal baddies are great! The frogs, the parrots, the (non-pirate) crabs... they all have a hint of Rare's classic aesthetic. Really 'preciate that.

Cranky is funnier than ever. I mean that. Back in the day, his humor was worth a chuckle here and there, but this is the first time he actually made me laugh out loud; I like that he alternates from ribbing good-naturedly on DK and Diddy to out-and-out insulting them. My favorite Cranky lines so far: "Go out there and show those tikis what-fer! Yes, I said 'what-fer'. I'm old. Get over it," and (I dig the subtle retro nod in this one) "See you later, alligator! Heh, heh, heh..."

The fact that there are no animal buddies other than Rambi and Squawks is a disappointment, but one I can live with. Rambi may not be in too many stages, but when he shows up, you know you're in for a good time. Squawks may play a very passive role (even more passive than lugging a lantern around), but looking at him sitting there, being all charming and what-have-you, is enough to put a big old smile on my face. And hunting for jiggies is fun on its own.

And the difficulty... ahh!! Breath of fresh air! I'd forgotten how much fun pulling one's own hair out can be!

More to follow.

Old 24th November 2010, 02:31 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Beat the game, but not 100%. Am working on that now. 9.9/10 is the final score I give it. The .1 point is lost because of the repeated bonus rooms and that's it.

It's official. Retro Studios is incapable of making a bad game.

Old 24th November 2010, 03:34 AM
Formerly BanjoBoy123

INFECTED - B1K1 
The Kazooie-looking bird boss was the best, man.

Very Rare-ish.

Old 24th November 2010, 03:54 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva PiƱata TiP Mastery 
8.5/10.

Way better than I was expecting. Pleased.

Old 24th November 2010, 04:36 AM

What are the 1.5 points worth of complaints?

Old 24th November 2010, 07:20 AM
Jolly Rodger

INFECTED - B1K1 
http://www.mediafire.com/?306m5tjpxtp426h (Pt 1)
http://www.mediafire.com/?dh5enf2997odgw1 (pt 2)
http://www.mediafire.com/?n53t0j7qo6pvgt3 (Pt 3)

^Tagged soundtrack

All in all, it's not too bad. I still think most of the original Wise compositions sound better though (really the only thing the original has over Returns).

Last edited by Kain Horward; 24th November 2010 at 07:24 AM.

Old 24th November 2010, 10:19 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
HEY GUYS! DID YA MISS ME!?

So yeah, my friend came over and we played DKCR Co-op from 4 pm to 3 am. It was a masterpiece.
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
We have a lot of free time.
Here are my thoughts:

Graphics

Excellent. The use of background/foreground for finding secrets and solving puzzles was very well done. The graphics were vary bright and colorful, very much like something Rare would make. Not to mention all the easter eggs and Rare references!

Music/Sound

I was slightly disappointed with the music. Almost all of the music were remixes of the previous songs. I was sick to death after hearing "Jungle Hijinx" for the hundreth time. The sounds on the other hand were great. The sound of Banana Coins were music to my ears! (Well, not really, but still.)

Controls

The controls could've been better, but they're still passible. The only problem is Ground Pounding/Rolling/Blowing. Did all three of really have to use the motion controls? We have (B) and (A) buttons right there, so why couldn't have used those instead? (I hold the Wiimote sideways.)

(B) could be Roll since it's right underneath the D-Pad and (A) could be Blow since you don't use it very often. Simple!

Other

Co-op is amazing. It's extremely similar to Mario Bros. Wii, which I like, but there's no counter Co-op. I'm no fan of counter Co-op, but I'm sure many fans of Mario/DKC are.

Extras, extras extras! All games need extra content like this, heck Epic Mickey has a second disc full of 'em! I hate finding loads of neat stuff that I can only find on the Internet. (On top of that, some people cannot access the Internet.) Still, I'm a fan of artwork/concept art/renders. I love looking at them! Sound Test is also a nice feature.

Overall

It's old and new at the same time, familiar yet strange. Retro took a classic franchise and gave it a fresh reboot and giving the fans exactly what they want; old school platforming, animal buddies, hidden secrets and difficult, frusterating levels.

9/10

- 1/2 for odd controls
- 1/2 for repetive music

Old 24th November 2010, 11:55 PM

I think the game is quite a bit better than the first game, slightly better than the third, but definitely not as good as the second.

Still haven't beaten it, though, so, hey, it still has a chance to change my mind.

Old 25th November 2010, 12:15 AM

No kidding, I found a fifty dollar bill on the sidewalk today. I had some change left over from lunch too so I went and bought the game. So far, so good. Just started though. Three and a half levels in (I quit stage four when I realized to get certain items you aren't supposed to jump on the frogs, you're supposed to hit the ground to cause the wooden platforms to tip. Duh). I actually got to the last world in DKC2 the other day but I lost interest in the game.

So after 2 hours and 41 minutes, I'm on the second level of the second world. The first world was great, the bonus level was pretty hard. They give you plenty of lives though. I still couldn't believe I missed a jiggy on that level. Now I have to re-do that nightmare over again. It's trial-and-error though so... yeah. I music rules, especially for that sunset level. Oh, and I died once against the first boss foolishly. Still, a death is a death, and the game hasn't been cheap so far.

First boss? Nintendo game? Death?

lol?

Also I love all the little details put into the game. There have been a few moments that have made me smile, and some of those moments have made me lose lives. I heard the game gets pretty hard around world 4, and that there's 9 worlds. That's insane. Can't wait. Also wtf is wrong with the people who made the time trials? 57 seconds for the first level's gold medal?

edit: even World 2 is pretty challenging.

Last edited by Esteban Colberto; 25th November 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 26th November 2010, 12:45 AM

Okay, fellas, I'm seriously stuck.

I made it all the way to the factory but cannot, cannot find a way to get the last jiggy in the forest's special stage. The one where you're in a barrel, there are two huge spinning pinwheel tikis blocking the path to the next barrel, and the jiggy is right behind one of them. No matter what I do, I can't get to it, not even if I shoot myself into the tiki and take the hit. Anyone know how to do it?

Oh, and about the plot: do you guys think the factory here is Kremcroc Industries, overtaken by the tikis? Because, although it seems much more modern than it did in the first DKC, I don't think such rustic, magical guys would build something like that. While we're at it, the boat / hot air balloon things are clearly theirs, but are the shipwrecks on the beach (and in Tippy Shippy, on the cliff) the remains of old Kremling galleons from back in the day? 'Cuz that'd be really cool.

I hope Retro makes an entire new DKC trilogy, like they did with Metroid. I'd like to see a Donkey and Dixie team-up in the next one, as well as the Tiki Tak home world. And in the third one, the Kremlings have to come back. They gotta. Maybe they can team up with the tikis to take out the Kongs? And and and and...!! Man, I'm excited. This game is the shit. I feel like a kid again.

User Tag List