Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 21st February 2020, 06:09 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Thankfully at least with the gold membership you get enough to try each new pipe. I'd never spend more than that on a game like this that is very clearly pay-to-win. I'm rank 33 and it gets a lot harder to climb when it matches me against players who more than likely spend $200+ every two weeks... Kinda crazy.

Old 22nd February 2020, 04:48 AM
a banana peel

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast Rarity Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
I got Ring Fit Adventure and I sweated a lot.

Once I get done doing some D&D prep, I want to really dive in to Yakuza 0 and give in to its side quests.

Old 29th February 2020, 02:32 AM
Trash Apprentice

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Comedy night is a cheap Steam game that goes on sale frequently, bringing the price down to about a buck usually. It's not quite so much a game as it is an online voice chat room with a few subset 'rules' that can be placed by the room-admin, to help manage things a bit. Rooms are separated by three categories but are mostly the same, with the exception of one. Comedy and Music are places for people to go and either, try their hand at being funny or participate in online-karaoke respectively. There's also a Dual-Mic option that allows two people to talk at nearly the same level. When entering a room you will see a stage with a mic, and an audience in a sort of 'cabaret club'.

Placed initially in the audience, users can queue up to do something on stage and, when it's their turn, they can do whatever they want for however long the admin has set the time for. Once they are done they return to the audience to let another user go and on and on ad infinitum. There is also an admin(Either the person who created the room or appointed by another admin) who can kick users off the stage, ban them entirely, and titles the name of the room and how long users are on stage, stuff like that. Of course the audience has a set of tools as well. They can talk back to the person on stage (Unless they have set it not to but this shows to the audience.) and they have some emotes such as 'clap' 'boo' 'like' and 'crickets' among others. This sort of 'talk back' approach is just as funny, interesting, and horrifying as you could possibly imagine. Every time I go on it's rooms are full of chats on philosophy, deep talks about people's lives and what they've been through, a sort of mix of /b and /pol, and online-karaoke with some people going all out, having a guitar and really nice vocals.

With nearly 70 hours of this game my only question is, why haven't I played it more? It's a really special thing to me , and have actually made quite a few friends on Steam through it. Talked to two Australians, a Canadian, and a (surprisingly close) Californian about our lives, joked about things, and just genuinely bonded for about three hours last night, and I can't wait to run into them again!

It would be really cool, I think, to see some of you guys running around in it too, if you decided to give it a look. I'm Oska btw.

Last edited by dragon_kazoooie; 29th February 2020 at 02:55 AM.

Old 2nd March 2020, 08:40 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 
The Megaman Zero/ZX Legacy collection came out and the games hold up. They are a series of Mega Man titles developed by InitCreates, and I think they might be the most solid action platformer titles ever released. The platforming and the combat blend together in a very natural way with neither aspect feeling compromised.

You don’t really get boss weapons per se like in standard megaman. Instead, Zero unlocks various weapons that each serve some kind of utility throughout stages. The Spear can attack in right directions, allowing zero to precisely poke away at does, or point downwards to pogo off of enemies. Or the shield, which deflects pellets and can be tossed like a boomerangs. Or the grappling hook, which lets zero pull blocks and swing across gaps.

These games are also really hard in an NES/SNES way, which is a positive or a negative depending on how you feel about that kind of thing. I think learning the boss fights and getting better at clearing levels without taking damage is really fun, though the grading system is a little discouraging. Especially because the game rewards S-ranking levels with new Z-Saber abilities. Granted, those abilities are mostly for show, and aren’t nearly as useful as your standard attacks.

What holds these games back, unfortunately, is that you can’t see too far ahead of you. These games were originally on the GBA and DS, so Zero has to take up a lot of screen real-estate. On the flip side, levels are kept relatively short since these games were intended to be played on-the-go. Since the levels are so short, it’s a lot easier to learn their layouts.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 2nd March 2020 at 09:05 PM.

Old 6th March 2020, 11:05 PM
a banana peel

I understand why Disco Elysium got so many GOTY nods last year. It's extremely clever. I haven't laughed out loud at a game in a long time.

This whole segment with the mirror, which plays out differently depending on what stats you give your character, is a great example from the first few minutes of the game (starts at 6:30):

Old 8th March 2020, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

You're Appreciated! Puzzle Six Awesome Default Medal RWP Donator RWP Podcast 
Let me know how that FIFA file goes

Old 9th March 2020, 03:12 PM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
My friend brought a bunch of games over and we decided to use my PS3 that I got as a gift several years ago and barely ever used. We played:
  • Borderlands (PS3) - I had never played this game before despite all its hype and prevalence during its peak years. I described it as "Fallout for Overwatch fans." It's okay but I didn't exactly play a lot of it. The game's aesthetic feels "painfully late 2000s"
  • MotorStorm (PS3) - Part of a racing series I'd never heard of but my friend really enjoys. It was kinda neat because the levels have a lot of variation in the paths you're able to take, and there are a whole bunch of vehicles to choose from, each of which feel very distinctive
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (PS3) - This is a more interesting version of the former with level designs that jack up the intricacy and convolutedness of the first's
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64) - We played this just as a means of checking out this controller that my friend bought, which is a redesign of the classic N64 controller by way of a more 2010s style. The controller works very well. However I still think Shadows of the Empire controls like a clunky piece of ass regardless.

Last edited by pastiche; 9th March 2020 at 10:06 PM.

Old 9th March 2020, 03:13 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Mega Man
NES, 1987
Beating a level in Mega Man was such an arduous task for me as a child. Returning to the game today, it's not that difficult. You need to be patient, but it's got that element of satisfying NES difficulty akin to something like Castlevania -- where with enough practice, you can learn how enemies work and make it through unscathed.

There is some bullshit. The bubble boss in Wily's castle is impossible to jump over without the stone blocks in the middle of the arena. Those blocks also deal massive damage when thrown with Guts Man's weapon. But those blocks do not respawn, so you might as well game over if you don't have any of those blocks left.

The boss weapons in this game also don't have a whole lot of utility outside of boss fights, unfortunately. Overall, though, Mega Man 1 aged decently well, and I still had fun playing it today.

Mega Man 2
NES, 1988

Mega Man 2 has a reputation for being the definitive classic Mega Man title. It also has a reputation for being overrated. After playing MM1 immediately before it, I feel that MM2 does indeed knock it out of the park.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but it does improve on everything built upon by the first. The robot masters have more discernable attack patterns. the projectile arcs of boss weapons give them various utilities when for clearing levels.

There is still a little bit of bullshit, though. For Boobeam Trap, you need to have crash bombs to clear the fight. And if you don't have enough, you need to game over and start the level again.

That kind of thing I was able to overlook, however. It's still a game you can clear pretty quickly once you figure it out, and easily the best of the two Mega Man titles thus far.

Mega Man 3
NES, 1990

I've heard MM3 referred to as the actual best on the NES. And it's the game that introduces my boy Protoman. So my hopes were pretty high for this title. Unfortunately, I've been kind of let down.

Well, the introduction of the slide and the Rush abilities are excellent. And I mean the levels themselves are mostly pretty fun. But the good ends there.

The bosses feel regressed. I wasn't too sure initially why the bosses felt regressed until I bashed my head at boss rush Needle Man for an hour and a half to learn the pattern. Then I realized there wasn't a pattern. The boss punishes anything you do.

Shoot, the boss jumps. Jump, the boss will physically land onto you in less than a second regardless of distance. Slide, and the boss jumps in the air instead of an arc to land on you.

Protoman himself ends up more of a nuisance than anything. You fight him four times, and his fight never changes. He jumps and shoots. That's it. And he's got a decent chunk of health, so it gets pretty grating fighting him over and over as you're redoing levels.

The robot master weapons are also a step back. They don't have quite the utility of 2’s weapons. Magnet Man's weapon homes, so it's okay. Snake Man's weapon tracks to surfaces, so you can use it to hit foes to low for your buster canon. And Shadow Man lets you shoot up.

The rest of the weapons are primarily reskins of the buster canon to some degree, except for Gemini Man's weapon. His weapon is a laser that bounces off surfaces and is almost entirely useless. It's slow, you can shoot only one at a time, and it's damn near impossible to hit anything with it.

Mega Man 3 was infamously rushed during development, and I can feel it. There haven't been any instances where you needed to die because you didn't have a resource you need to defeat a boss, but the bosses feel so haphazard that I at least want the predictability of the bullshit from 1 and 2.

Last edited by Solid Snix; 9th March 2020 at 11:22 PM.

Old 10th March 2020, 01:34 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

I figured out the MM3 robot masters. actually they do adhere to patterns sort of. They're just a lot harder to pick up on.

Old 10th March 2020, 02:49 AM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Of the first three, I feel like 2 comes together the most cohesively. But I still had fun with 3.

F

Also, these games aged pretty well graphically, as far as NES titles are concerned.

Anyway, I think the first Gameboy title came out after 3. I heard good things about the Gameboy entries, so I'll give those a shot.

Old 10th March 2020, 07:22 AM
a banana peel

I have been playing a lot of Civilization V with friends, and every single game is a shitshow.

Old 11th March 2020, 12:11 AM
🌙

You're Appreciated! RWP Podcast INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity INFECTED - B1K1 
animal crossing spring always hits before the outside world
enjoying the greenery and the fishing with my morning coffee.

played hm64 for an hour or two this evening before my game locked up in moon mountain. this is a regular enough occurrence that i just accept it at this point (仕様が無い).

Old 11th March 2020, 11:58 PM
Formerly Super_Nintendo6

Old 16th March 2020, 01:42 AM
a quiche

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam View Post
STARTED UP PIKMIN TODAY. IT'S BEEN ABOUT 18 YEARS SINCE I LAST PLAYED THIS GAME. SO FAR, I'VE HAD A GREAT TIME.
I played it about years ago after never touching it since the early days. Played it every day for a week straight and had a blast. Really, really cool and I want to play the sequel(s). Enjoy, bon appetít.

Old 16th March 2020, 03:52 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I replay Pikmin 2 (never owned or played the first sadly) every couple years, have a lot of fun but then stop right around the time I unlock Awakening Wood. I get real bad anxiety about losing Pikmin and the enemies and caverns they introduce in the last area make the game way too stressful for me. That's just me being a bitch though.

User Tag List