Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 3rd April 2009, 10:27 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

Total Awards: 1
RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox260 View Post
I found it no problem on the site wher eI get my ROMs from.
It just doesn't show up in the main list of ROMs, but when you go into the alphabetic index and click a letter, you'll find it, readily available, as well as
Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, etc.

They just hide from the main menu, it's findable. I've been playing it on my Wii, along with Tetris Attack.

Also, sorry about talking about ROMs. I know I'm not supposed to here. X_X

I found that to be the case with most of the sites, they'd show up in all lists, but once you'd click on any of the games, it would say 'We're sorry, but due to a request by the ERA, this game has been taken down.'

As for talking about roms.........
I really still think we're on the safe side of things as long as we aren't really talking about where to get them, and some other details about them. I just think if we bring them up, it needs to carefully worded.
The CycloDS CAN play roms and emulators, but is in general, a Media Device for the DS.
I can't see myself using the Video Playback for much, at all...
I'm mostly fascinated by its ability to flawlessly run my old games! AND the in game support for any DS backups/roms you have running.

Old 4th April 2009, 02:31 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTurnbull272 View Post
I found that to be the case with most of the sites, they'd show up in all lists, but once you'd click on any of the games, it would say 'We're sorry, but due to a request by the ERA, this game has been taken down.'

As for talking about roms.........
I really still think we're on the safe side of things as long as we aren't really talking about where to get them, and some other details about them. I just think if we bring them up, it needs to carefully worded.
The CycloDS CAN play roms and emulators, but is in general, a Media Device for the DS.
I can't see myself using the Video Playback for much, at all...
I'm mostly fascinated by its ability to flawlessly run my old games! AND the in game support for any DS backups/roms you have running.
SNES and NES are what I'm planning on using it for.

Old 4th April 2009, 04:59 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
The NES Games run perfectly! But be sure that each folder doesn't have more than 150 or so files in it because the CycloDS can only see somewhere around that many files before it starts acting weird...
What I did, was just sorted them into different letters (i.e. A-D, E-G...etc)

The SNES games are a bit more picky, and the CycloDS only works with a couple different emulators I've found so far (I'm running the SNEmulDS), while others freeze, or don't work at all...Plus, they need to be set up a certain way to work right because the config file looks for the games in a particular folder. Most of the other emulators allow you to search for games in different directories...

But yeah, I'm finding that the CycloDS is the best thing I've ever bought for my DS!!!

If anybody decides to get one, or has any questions...feel free to ask me!

Old 4th April 2009, 08:16 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
You make me want to get a ds. I have to be the biggest Nintendo fan who doesn't own a Nintendo system...in fact...

Old 6th April 2009, 08:12 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
I bought the DS a day or two after it came out, then my (then) girlfriend was borrowing it and spilled melted ice cream all over it.
Then I went a couple of years without one, but wanting one for sure...and for my Birthday last year, my current girlfriend bought me a DS Lite, and my room mate bought me a DSi just yesterday (for no reason I guess?)
Well worth the investment!

Old 6th April 2009, 09:24 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
'Still got my R4. With that combined with an EZ-Flash IV, my DS is a beasty system.

Though, my primary usage for my DS is writing notes (DSOrganize) and watching videos. The only game I ever play anymore is the remake of Tetris Attack (TetattkDS).

Old 9th April 2009, 03:08 PM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
I'm somewhat frustrated because I just picked up a DSi the other day, and unfortunately, they set it up so you can't play Homebrew applications, or SD boot cards on it yet.
I've heard from the CycloDS makers that they are currently working on updating the firmware for the card (the nice thing about a card that can be hooked right into your computer for updates!!!), and they are hoping to have some new updates for it to make it compatible with the DSi in time.
Once that happens, I'll pretty much be in love with my DSi.
This card is SO fun to play with...

Another thing I just noticed today...
Apparently, it works just like any other DS game, and you can close your screen and it will go into energy saving mode. I mean, I know it's probably nothing special, but I didn't expect it to function exactly the same way as other games. And it works out really well because for some of the games, it is a tad hard to just pause them, or to save them...so when I need to stop for a bit, rather than saving my game, or letting it sit open, I'm just closing the screen and coming back whenever I wanted to finish!

I still haven't figured out how to use the Save anytime feature or the Rewind + Fast Forward feature with any other emulators other than the NES emulator, but they forgot to send me a manual for it, so I'm doing my best to figure this thing out...

I DID get some songs uploaded onto it (in the AAC format), and they sound pretty decent! The speakers on the DS Lite aren't the best, so they do fairly well for what you get...But I can only imagine that when they get this working on the DSi, that the quality will be significantly better seeing as the speakers and sound card on that console are superior to the Lite's.

The video playback is a bit cruddy...You can't pause, rewind, or fast forward the clips (as far as I know), so it basically keeps you from enjoying your movies unless you plan to sit there staring at your three inch screen for two or three hours nonstop...*sigh*
And the quality is a bit grainy, but what do you expect on a DS?

Ultimately, I regret nothing. This is one of the BEST investments I've made for my DS in the entire time I've owned one.
And I must say, for anyone that uses their DS daily, or even weekly, this is a MUST have for the casual goer!

Old 9th April 2009, 10:45 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I am getting one when I get a new job. Can't wait for that. =D

Old 11th April 2009, 08:58 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
DO NOTE!!!
If you have the DSi, it WILL NOT work.

They are working on patching it so it will work, but as we speak, it DOES NOT work, just so you know!!!

Old 11th April 2009, 09:01 AM
Custom User Title

You're Appreciated! RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 Random Award Basic Forum Rules 
If you have a DSi go get a AceKard 2i and I think there is 1 other card that works but I dunno what its called, also since the DSi have firmware updates Nintendo could just block the cards anyway

I should have my DSi delivered today and I think am just going to leave my flashcart shenanigans on my DS lite unless some awesome person finds a way to play homebrew and such through the SD card

Old 11th April 2009, 09:07 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
I've been reading that NO flashcards work yet...(but that might have been an answer from a week or two ago...)
I think it was a huge problem that Nintendo hoped to eradicate with the constant updates...
But good luck to you with that.
If you don't mind, try seeing if your Flash Card works on there.
I'm trying to find one that may possibly work...

But if this means I just need to keep playing the DS Lite for this to work, I'm cool with that!

Old 11th April 2009, 09:14 AM
Custom User Title

I know mine won't, my flashcart is a M3 DS real, thats one that does not work sadly

The AceKard 2i works here is a review from GBAtemp..

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=122563

Old 11th April 2009, 09:18 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
I think that any Flash Card that has the ability to update from your computer has potential to eventually work with the DSi.
Nintendo can't ALWAYS keep it from working, can they?!?

I saw a video of the CycloDS working on the DSi too, but it had some freezing glitches -but it's on the way!

Old 11th April 2009, 09:26 AM
Custom User Title

The old ones don't work because of a physical flaw that makes them not work on the DSi, The newer flashcarts should have this fixed and yeah hopefully the flashcart teams will make updates that will work around Nintendo's updates.

Old 11th April 2009, 09:37 AM
Formerly JDTurnbull272

RWP Donator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiesAreBlueGuy View Post
The old ones don't work because of a physical flaw that makes them not work on the DSi, The newer flashcarts should have this fixed and yeah hopefully the flashcart teams will make updates that will work around Nintendo's updates.
What Physical Flaw?
They're the exact same dimension as any other DS game...(edit - at least the CycloDS is...)
And like I said, I've already seen a video of the CycloDS working on the DSi...it was off of the user 'CycloDS'. They're working on getting it to work.

Tags
cyclops evolution, emulation, flash, homebrew, nintendo ds

User Tag List