Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 1st September 2013, 12:48 PM
Glowbo

Banjo-Kazooie Editor

Hello everyone.

Four years ago I did a Spanish translation of Banjo-Kazooie. However I couldn't translate the menus because the game has some kind of anti-modification system in certain files, including the menus, that makes the game go crazy even if you modify just one byte. For example, Banjo would become uncontrollable, or Bottles tutorials at the beginning would be unfinishable.

However, this last days, I was able to finally put an end to all this issues, and I've been able to edit the menus.

So I made an editor that I used myself for my own translation that made things a lot more easy. And now that it features a menu editor, I wanted to show it to you. I've tried to make the most complete editor, and although there's always room for improvement, now you can make a full translation of Banjo-Kazooie only with this little program (except the credits, as they cause random crashes during the credits sequence, but they are a minor thing ). Note that it's only compatible with PAL version.

You can download it and see more info here: http://pacochan.tales-tra.com/progra...azooie-editor/

Here you can see my Spanish translation if you want: http://pacochan.tales-tra.com/traduc...banjo-kazooie/

Tell me what you guys think .

Last edited by PacoChan; 1st September 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added one link

Old 1st September 2013, 12:56 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Cool! I think Coolboyman and Skill might want to see this
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 1st September 2013, 10:11 PM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan View Post
Hello everyone.

Four years ago I did a Spanish translation of Banjo-Kazooie. However I couldn't translate the menus because the game has some kind of anti-modification system in certain files, including the menus, that makes the game go crazy even if you modify just one byte. For example, Banjo would become uncontrollable, or Bottles tutorials at the beginning would be unfinishable.

However, this last days, I was able to finally put an end to all this issues, and I've been able to edit the menus.

So I made an editor that I used myself for my own translation that made things a lot more easy. And now that it features a menu editor, I wanted to show it to you. I've tried to make the most complete editor, and although there's always room for improvement, now you can make a full translation of Banjo-Kazooie only with this little program (except the credits, as they cause random crashes during the credits sequence, but they are a minor thing ). Note that it's only compatible with PAL version.

You can download it and see more info here: http://pacochan.tales-tra.com/progra...azooie-editor/

Here you can see my Spanish translation if you want: http://pacochan.tales-tra.com/traduc...banjo-kazooie/

Tell me what you guys think .
Neato! Just to make 100% sure, this is only compatible with BK, right? I'm sure it is, but just to be safe...

This paves the way for serious fan translations. And other mishaps...

Old 1st September 2013, 10:15 PM
Glowbo

Yes, only with Banjo-Kazooie PAL version.

Old 1st September 2013, 10:32 PM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan View Post
Yes, only with Banjo-Kazooie PAL version.
Really? I was lazy and didn't get the PAL version (yup, to lazy to google it) and like I usually do with stuff like this, I tried it with an NTSC version of the rom... Worked fine. Instead of the Gruntilda opening as the first text showing up I get Captain Blubber's speal. Anyone find the same? Is this even a problem?

EDIT: I take it back. After editing a copy of my BK rom, it broke it. Warning to all: follow creator's instructions! Don't try to pull a fast one! Thanks again, PacoChan!

Last edited by TheGreatNi; 1st September 2013 at 10:53 PM.

Old 2nd September 2013, 02:19 AM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
Cool congrats! What ended up being the issue with the Menus? Are they in a later file, not the normal text area?

Old 2nd September 2013, 10:23 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDrag View Post
Cool congrats! What ended up being the issue with the Menus? Are they in a later file, not the normal text area?
Hi. Yes, the menus are in those files at the end of the ROM. And the problem was that for most of those files, if not all, the game generates two checksums for each of them and then compares them with others stored in other files. And there wasn't a clear pattern. I mean. The checksum algorithm is always the same, but they are stored in different places.

For example: If I edit the code so the language menu doesn't appear, then I must edit the file where the language menu texts are, since the checksums are there. Then, for editing that file, I have to change another checksum stored in the SAME file (and if I edit it, the file changes the checksum again), so I go through a loop till I find the checksum that, at the same time, doesn't change the checksum of the file. Then I have to edit a checksum in another file. That file also contains the checksum of the other menus (pause menu, file select menu), and finally, the checksums of that file are stored in ROM uncompressed. One of the checksums of the pause and file select menus is never used for some reason. And I wanted to make sure of that, so I finished the game 100% with a breakpoint in the memory address where the checksum is stored. And nothing. So it makes things a little easier, since I don't have to edit more checksums in probably other files.

I don't know if I've explained myself very well, but basically that was all.

The editor handles all that stuff by itself, so there's no need to worry for those who want to translate the game.

Old 2nd September 2013, 03:00 PM
McLovin

Ah we encountered that in Banjo's Backpack, I think. I wrote a simple fix to just skip the checksum checks. I don't remember it being in the file though. Was it the F9CAE0 file, etc? I hadn't realized that was the issue for replacing the menu text, I just thought was in images or something.

Old 2nd September 2013, 03:40 PM
Glowbo

All this issue was located in files F5A2DC, FC0CFD, FE8CA0, FEB1D8. I had the idea of skipping those checks, but it resulted more complicated.

Old 2nd September 2013, 10:07 PM
McLovin

Can you provide more technical details on the locations in the files and checksums? I just want to make sure we're talking about the same one. Ours made Banjo walk slowly. Thanks!

Old 3rd September 2013, 01:41 PM
Glowbo

Yes, that happened to me. That's what I meant with Banjo uncontrollable.

Each file has two UInt32 checksums, I'll call them Checksum(0) and Checksum(1) These are the checksums I modified:

Checksum(0) of FE8CA0.bin is located in FEB1D8.bin, at 0x20.
Checksum(1) of FE8CA0.bin is located in FEB1D8.bin, at 0x24.
Checksum(0) of FEB1D8.bin is located in FEB1D8.bin, at 0x28.
Checksum(1) of FEB1D8.bin is located in F5A2DC.bin, at 0x40.
Checksum(0) of FC0CFD.bin is unused.
Checksum(1) of FC0CFD.bin is located in F5A2DC.bin, at 0xe54.
Checksum(0) of F5A2DC.bin is located in ROM, at 0x5E80.
Checksum(1) of F5A2DC.bin is located in ROM, at 0x5E84.

Checksum(1) of FC0CFD.bin and both of F5A2DC.bin are the ones that made Banjo go slow. All the rest broke Bottles tutorial at the beginning. I mean, when you talk to Bottles to learn a new move, Banjo would forget it just after the conversation finishes. If you talk to Bottles again, it would repeat the same thing or hang the game. So, if you modify some of these files at the end of the ROM (wich I call X-Files), be aware of the Bottles glitch, as it isn't an obvious one like Banjo going slow.

I still don't know what could be the reason of so much checks for those files.

Greetings.

Last edited by PacoChan; 3rd September 2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Forgot some info.

User Tag List