Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 18th January 2009, 01:49 AM
Glowbo

Creating Hi-Res Texture Packs?

EDIT: Mods, you can trash this, as I'm sure you'd love to, and it's now redundant.

I apologize if this is against Forum rules, but I've searched the internet high and low and I cannot find a simple, straight-forward answer to this question:

How do I go about CREATING Texture Packs? After viewing some leaked footage of an abandoned Goldeneye port for XBOX Live ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_iLkIJ9Yg

... it really lights a fire under me to give Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a makeover. I would even use the footage above as an inspiration in terms of design for GE.

So, I guess the issue is, I'd like someone that either can take the graphics I make and turn them into a texture pack, or point me in the right direction so I can do it myself.

Again, my apologies if this goes against any rules ... just trying to create something cool that I think we all want to see.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by enigs; 20th January 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Old 18th January 2009, 01:54 AM
The Hero of the Hour

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
As far as I'm aware this is not against the rules lol. I'm not actually sure what the detailed explanation for making these is, but seeing Macphisto's Hi-Res Banjo Kazooie Texture pack, I think that it has something to do with the Rice Plugin allowing you to dump the textures from the game and then allowing you to edit and re-insert them? Again I'm not sure, but there's forums on places such as GameTalk which are dedicated to game retexturing I think. Hold on while I have a look.

Edit: http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

That might be a good place to start. They have loads of information about retexturing games. Also looks like you need to use the 1964 emulator.

Last edited by Airman; 18th January 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Old 18th January 2009, 03:52 AM
Glowbo

Wow, that definitely seems like a good place to start. I don't know how my Googling managed to miss that ...

Many thanks! I'll report back here if I manage to make it work.

Old 19th January 2009, 02:07 AM
Glowbo

After d/ling a Super Mario 64 texture pack, and being amazed at how jaw-dropping it makes the game look, I figured out how simple it is to both dump textures and re-load them into the game. I had no idea it was as simple as taking images from one folder, modifying them, and dropping them in another.

I'll report back with my first successful test ... I just did a run-through of Carrington Villa, so here comes the "fun" part ...

Old 19th January 2009, 08:44 AM
The Hero of the Hour

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Excellent. Can't wait to see the results. Good luck

User Tag List