Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 29th September 2010, 10:11 AM
Jinjo

Idea

I'VE HAD THE BEST IDEA FOR A FANGAME!!! This game takes place before Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Grunty is still a head, so one day she has an idea "The secret function of my lair, i'll get a new body from there!" So she goes to banjo's now rebuilt house and steals the 6 eggs and the ice key while everyones asleep. Then she goes to her lair and into the broken portrait where she, somehow with no hands, puts the Ice Key into the secret key hole opening the door to the stop and swop room! She goes into the room, puts the eggs into the machine thingy, and then POOF!!! She has her old body back!

So now she's exactly how she appeared in Banjo-Kazooie, wich means she's still ugly. "This body is somthing, but i'ts not very thin, I'll need a new plot to get rid of these chins!" So, she blasts a hole in the rocks that block the door to her old lair and proceeds to the top room where the beauty machine is located and takes out the hard drive motherboard chip thing. Then she sneaks out of her lair and goes to Cauldron Keep. She raises the weights that squished her sisters and tells them her plan, She is going to put the chip from the beuty machine into B.O.B. turning it into a beuty sucking machine! Her sisters forgive her for dropping 100 tonne weights on them and agree to help with the plan, By the way they're zombies now so thats why they agreed so they could have a share in the beuty she stole. So they put the chip into B.O.B. and wait for it to charge up. In the mean time they go back to grunty's old lair and start to clean it up. After they cleaned up the lair they go up to the top of the tower and cast a spell on spiral mountain turning it into a place just as ugly as gruntilda's lair. By this time Banjo has gotten suspicious as to why everything was ugly and full of monsters so he and kazooie go out to see whats going on, the witches were back at cauldron keep and aiming B.O.B. at, guess who? Tooty! They aim, and fire and suck all the beuty out of Tooty filling up the shower thingy 35/100%!

At this stage the gameplay begins and banjo has to make his way through all the worlds in grunty's lair, wich have all changed, and in Isle o' Hags wich has also changed, likewise they'll see a few familiar faces such as Mumbo Jumbo, Humba Wumba, King Jingaling, Jiggywiggy, and of course the Jinjo's that somehow got themselves into trouble again. If anyone thinks this game is a good idea please tell me so that in time, i might start to actually make some progress, like any gamemaker i'm looking for a programmer, storywiter, artist, sound designer, level designer, ect. If anyone is interested in being one of those give me a small sample of your work, preferably Banjo-Kazooie related.

Last edited by RainbowJinjo; 29th September 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Old 29th September 2010, 10:20 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
USE.

SOME.

FRIGGIN.

PARAGRAPHS.

Please
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 29th September 2010, 10:21 AM
Jinjo

Too late now isn't it?

Did you like the story though?

Last edited by RainbowJinjo; 29th September 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Old 29th September 2010, 10:28 AM
Rare Witch Hero

It's never to late as long as there's an edit button

I seriously can't read through that unless it's layed-out a bit better. It fails at continuously getting and holding on to my attention in its current layout.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 29th September 2010, 11:03 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Okay, I'm gonna be completely honest about what I think here.

When I look at the plot, the main thing that I see here is a simple repetition of the two main games' plotlines combined together. You try so hard at making it seem like an original idea when it's so clearly not. Additionally, using SNS as a main plot device (What did she need the eggs for anyways? They were never mentioned again in the story) is almost guaranteed to fail. You shouldn't take a hard to get extra like SNS from the Banjo-Kazooie series and built an entire plot around it... ever.

Additionally, on a sidenote; 1/3 is 33%, not 35%

Then for her sisters reviving; you must have thought 'well, Banjo-Tooie did this to Grunty and Bottles, why can't we do it for the two sisters?' but you're forgetting the fact that Grunty and Bottles are main characters whereas the sisters are minor characters; supportive at most.

I just generally see a lot of this and that splattered over the story, but a lot of the events you've described actually make sense regarding the original Banjo-Kazooie story or timeline. Heck, you tend to forget stuff you've typed earlier on in the same paragraph.

I'd much rather see more regarding the actual gameplay. All you really did in the end was spout out a few characters names saying they'll be back without going on about what their functions are going to be in this story? Are we going to revisit levels from Banjo-Kazooie, or; are we ONLY going to visit levels from Banjo-Kazooie (uglified of course). If so, where shall be that one new and innovating gimmick that would make the game more of a success and less of a repetition of previous games.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to take an old plot, heck, Mario does it all the time; you just need to make it more unique, make it stand out. That is what I'm generally missing here.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 29th September 2010, 12:06 PM
Jinjo

You forgeting this is a.. First draft of sorts, i'm yet to mince out thr finer details later such as why gruntilda even had the eggs and key in her lair anyway ect. Personally i think including a feature moulded around stop'n'swop is what most people would want from a Banjo-Kazooie game. I am planning to let players use it somhow in the game, note Gruntilda locked the secret door and hid the eggs after she used the machine and while the players may be aware of the secret door, room and machine Banjo and Kazooie are not so if one were to approach the place where the door is Banjo and Kazooie would have no reaction. I can quite plainly see that you dislike the story but mind you i diddnt spent alot of time pondering it i just gathered parts up from alot of my story ideas and crudely duct taped them together without pondering the actual gameplay much at all. Perhaps you'd like to audition to be a story writer? while i'm not prepared to change the full plot of the story i will agree it does need refining

Last edited by RainbowJinjo; 29th September 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Old 29th September 2010, 12:11 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Thanks for the offer, and while I think this idea most definitely will need a Story Lead, I'm to busy for any of that, sorry.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 29th September 2010, 12:23 PM
Jinjo

Suit yourself, if you do have any ideas regarding any aspect of the game dont hesitate to speak up

Old 20th February 2011, 01:58 AM
Jinjo

I'm going to bump this thread because my idea was epic.

Old 20th February 2011, 03:35 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I think Smouvy pretty much summed it up...

Old 20th February 2011, 03:47 AM
Jinjo

HE LIES! LIES AND SLANDER!

Old 20th February 2011, 10:24 AM
Rare Witch Hero

I completely forgot this thread even existed :X Reading it again is like I'm reading it for the very first time.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 11th April 2011, 12:09 AM
Dingpot

Well, for a first draft, I'd say that was pretty good (find the ironic pun)!

The two problems I have with it are Stop 'N' Swop and Gruntilda's Lair with the Isle O' Hags. First of all, when did Gruntilda even know about Stop 'N' Swop? She never mentioned it. Second, why go to all that trouble to open a door? It's in her lair, so, why would she need the Ice Key to get it. It should probably be unlocked through some sort of witch spell. If you're going to present Stop 'N' Swop, you might want to stick with it's original concept. Plus, if there's one thing that really bugs me about Banjo-Kazooie fan game ideas (and there aren't very many) it's having Banjo & Kazooie go through the same overworlds a second time over. (The worst being the game titled "Banjo-Threeie", as there are countless dozens of these) Spiral Mountain, should, of course make a return, and maybe the first room of Gruntilda's Lair (like in Banjo-Tooie), but nothing more than that.

To keep it in high regard, you should use an overworld and levels that were never in any of the games. Make something new. Don't just copy what's been done. Stretch your creativity and show us something that will surprise us. One of my personal greatest joys in Banjo-Kazooie was the wonderment of what each new world would bring to me. You should do the same with this.

So, give it a name (keep it original, but there's no rush, and it can be changed, if you don't like it later on), come up with an idea for a new overworld (and how you get there), concept some level ideas and think about mechanics, like, What would Mumbo or Humba or anyone else do in this game? Who will take on the role that Bottles and Jam Jars left? What will you do with Banjo & Kazooie moveset? Do they get erased, somehow? This is the time to be creative.

As soon as you really have something to show for, such as a model, map, or maybe a logo, perhaps, then, I'm sure a lot of people would love to join onto your project.

Old 11th April 2011, 04:18 AM
I'M A BIG WEE WEE HEAD!!!!

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! RWP Donator INFECTED - B1K1 
Do you not listen to people's advice, Lugbzurg?

Old 11th April 2011, 04:25 AM
Formerly Frozyn

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence 
Lost cause he is, bobby. I'd just leave it.

User Tag List