Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 6th August 2010, 05:53 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Rarity RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Might actually be pretty funny to see him waving around a Wiimote when you go to see him almost too distracted to talk to you.

Old 6th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Holy crap. I just read an article on the game (nothing worth linking to; all old info) that gave me an incredible idea.

Remember how Cranky Kong used to whine that games in the nineties were too complex and hi-tech, and that there was nothing better than old-school arcade action? Well, how do you think he'll feel about the Wii, motion controls, online co-op, and all those things? Will he wail on them even harder, or will he be one of those Wii-loving old people who can't get enough of the stuff? Remember how in the third game you had to play a carnival game with him? What if this time you have to beat him at Wii bowling?

Discuss.
Come on, I think we all know Cranky's personality is going to go with this game. I'd put money on him being just a stereotypical old angry man. He's not going to have that witty Britian smart ass personality that we've all known and loved him for. Either that or he is going to do nothing but praise the Wii...

Last edited by Neodynamics; 6th August 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Old 6th August 2010, 07:18 PM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
Most likely he'll end up as a Tutorial character, but this is Retro we're talking about so...

Old 7th August 2010, 10:54 AM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Holy crap. I just read an article on the game (nothing worth linking to; all old info) that gave me an incredible idea.

Remember how Cranky Kong used to whine that games in the nineties were too complex and hi-tech, and that there was nothing better than old-school arcade action? Well, how do you think he'll feel about the Wii, motion controls, online co-op, and all those things?
Many gamers are just like Cranky Kong now.Everything new is crap,older games are flawless.

Old 7th August 2010, 07:42 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodynamics View Post
Come on, I think we all know Cranky's personality is going to go with this game. I'd put money on him being just a stereotypical old angry man. He's not going to have that witty Britian smart ass personality that we've all known and loved him for. Either that or he is going to do nothing but praise the Wii...
I doubt it, actually. The reason Cranky hasn't been the same since Rare left is because his sense of humor is very Western (specifically British, but as long as you're an English-speaker, you're in on the joke), and Nintendo, being Japanese and therefore having a different sense of humor, didn't quite know how to play him. Retro must understand what it is that makes Cranky funny, and if he's in the game, I'm sure he'll feel as though he never left.

However, that's still an "if". I hope Retro wasn't short-sighted enough to leave him out. Pray to the video game gods!

Old 8th August 2010, 03:58 AM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
Actually, I don't think Nintendo's made a single game with Cranky in it- It's all PAON and Namco. They're both Japanese though, and they both made him seem rather kind, aside from a single line in Barrel Blast.

Old 8th August 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Yoshi View Post
Actually, I don't think Nintendo's made a single game with Cranky in it- It's all PAON and Namco. They're both Japanese though, and they both made him seem rather kind, aside from a single line in Barrel Blast.
Well, maybe Cranky realized he's near the end of his life, and decided to end on a good note?

In any case, here's some more gameplay footage, this time featuring a jungle / ruins stage. For the most part, it's really great-looking, but there's no hint of Rambi and I still think there aren't enough enemies loitering around; that's the second stage we've seen with that problem, and I'm starting to get concerned. On the other hand, I really dig those banana-spewing statues of Mugley.

Old 9th August 2010, 01:25 AM
Brash Breegull

Cool.

Old 10th August 2010, 11:22 PM

So, I'm starting to get a little concerned about the apparent absence of the animal buddies. There's no telling how the stages will have changed from E3 to the release date, but it seems as though this will be the first Donkey Kong Country game without an animal buddy on the first stage. I wish Retro would just get on with it and tell us whether or not we'll see them. At least that way I'd know whether all the speculation about "new" animal buddies I've been doing will pay off at all.

By the way, I'm hoping for a flamingo. In addition to Rambi, Rattly, Enguarde (somehow), and entourage, of course.

Old 19th August 2010, 02:42 AM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJgMf7B_-w

Man. I gotta say that I love how the environments are done in this game. So much detail, and so much action going on. My particular favorite so far is how you activate the barrel cannon, get shot over to the wrecked ship, play a bonus game, and then after finishing the bonus game, you get shot back to the beach and the ship falls apart and sinks into the ocean. So awesome.

The level design in terms of layouts looks really good too. I saw another video (0:54 and 2:05) that showed an "O" letter over a bottomless pit, and the guys playing the demo couldn't figure out how to get it. ROLL JUMP NOOBS.

I'm sad about the apparent lack of Kremlings, but man, seriously, this game look amazing. I cannot wait for November 21.

EDIT: I also like to think that in terms of visual design, this kind of stuff is what Rare would have done had DKC been on a system where they could have used realtime 3D, instead of more limiting pre-rendered sprites.

This is seriously just my most anticipated game of the year so far. If it's as good as it seems, it'll probably be my favorite Wii game, period. I just...gah. I guess I'm done gushing now. It's just. Yeah. I'm excited. Sue me.

Last edited by Bottles98; 19th August 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Old 19th August 2010, 08:41 PM

Hadn't seen you in a while, Bottles. I agree with you on everything. Especially the Kremlings, and more especially the roll jump.

By the way, I just realized... if there are Banana Coins in the game, then there must be Kong family members to pay with them!

I can't wait to purchase me some sarcastic advice from a certain bitter old ape on a rocking chair...

Old 20th August 2010, 01:10 AM
Von Kriplespac

You're Appreciated! 
DKCR is confirmed to be relreased in Nov. 21.

Old 20th August 2010, 01:13 AM
Brash Breegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post
Must save up 50-60 dollars and camp at GS/PnT on nov 20.

Old 20th August 2010, 01:31 AM
Mr. Pants

Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBB View Post
Hmmm... Sonic Colors... or DKCR... decisions, decisions
________
Magic Flight Launch Box Review

Last edited by Starblazer; 10th May 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Old 20th August 2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Mario View Post
Hmmm... Sonic Colors... or DKCR... decisions, decisions
Are you... are you seriously cosidering getting a 3D Sonic game instead of this glorious blessing from the video game gods?

You... you... I have no words...

User Tag List