Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 26th November 2010, 08:16 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo View Post
Also, I was not as big on Rambi's segments. I mean, I enjoyed the segments themselves; however, I liked how in the original games he was just there. You could conceivably play through entire stages without noticing he was even hidden away in them. If you did find him though, the stage tended to be easier and you could access additional secrets that you could not before. In this game, you basically NEED Rambi. Instead of it being a stage with Rambi in it, it is a Rambi-focused stage. Seems like a cheap way of making each stage its own gimmick like mentioned before.
Interesting... I like the way they handled Rambi for the exact reason you disliked it.

Rambi was great back in the day and all that, but other than helping you find the odd bonus stage here and there, he was an entirely superfluous presence. This time, you really feel his animal power, man. I love running around like a drunken cannonball, knocking out all in my path, wrecking up walls and stuff. And the fact that having him around is crucial is incentive to keep him around. If you lose him in Smokey Peak, for instance, you're shit out of luck; either go back to the beginning of the stage / checkpoint or kill yourself and try again. Challenge. Keeps you on your toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles98 View Post
I like the music, but eh. I'd say it needs less remixes and more of the music needs to feel like Tidal Terror.
That's funny because the Tidal Terror music is a remix of Northern Hemispheres.

And speaking of music, there's no Slipslide Ride remix! Color me pissed off.

Old 26th November 2010, 08:19 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
...is it really? I'll take your word for it. If so, I guess I didn't notice because it had more of an atmospheric focus than most of the other remixes.

Old 26th November 2010, 08:36 PM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva PiƱata TiP Mastery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
And the fact that having him around is crucial is incentive to keep him around. If you lose him in Smokey Peak, for instance, you're shit out of luck; either go back to the beginning of the stage / checkpoint or kill yourself and try again. Challenge. Keeps you on your toes.
That's exactly how it was in the original game? Rambi was always a pins and needles situation, because you knew that if you got hit just once before the end of the stage that you were going to miss that god damn bonus stage and have to restart.

Old 26th November 2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles98 View Post
...is it really? I'll take your word for it. If so, I guess I didn't notice because it had more of an atmospheric focus than most of the other remixes.
Yeah, I didn't notice either until someone pointed it out to me. Go to that stage again and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo View Post
That's exactly how it was in the original game? Rambi was always a pins and needles situation, because you knew that if you got hit just once before the end of the stage that you were going to miss that god damn bonus stage and have to restart.
Yeah, but this time it's actually impossible to proceed without him. Crumbling walls and all that.

Old 26th November 2010, 10:11 PM
Formerly Chilli

Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
I started it today, and already I find the controls to be annoying. I'd much rather use the Gamecube/Classic controller, and not be forced to shake it to roll, ground pound, and blow. And the small end where the control pad is hurts my hand after about an hour of playing ;_;. Other than that, it's pretty amazing.

Old 26th November 2010, 11:38 PM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I like this game better than the original so far despite having done just three worlds. Finding the bonuses is much more tolerable. I like Rambi too, although the last stage I tried with him was the stage in the Ruins; nothing beyond that. And I appreciate Sqwuaks more in DKCR than I ever did in DKC2.

The blowing mechanic doesn't bug me either, although it is completely arbitrary. However there was one clever jiggy where the blowing move was used in conjunction with the hand-slap though, which I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
I started it today, and already I find the controls to be annoying. I'd much rather use the Gamecube/Classic controller, and not be forced to shake it to roll, ground pound, and blow. And the small end where the control pad is hurts my hand after about an hour of playing ;_;. Other than that, it's pretty amazing.
You can use the nunchuck. It allows DK to run automatically and I find it to be easier on the thumb. The Wii Remote on its own got my thumb hurting too, especially in the temple on the first world.

Last edited by Esteban Colberto; 26th November 2010 at 11:42 PM.

Old 26th November 2010, 11:49 PM
Formerly Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert View Post

You can use the nunchuck. It allows DK to run automatically and I find it to be easier on the thumb. The Wii Remote on its own got my thumb hurting too, especially in the temple on the first world.
I.. I was unaware he could run instead of just rolling for speed. That's probably why I had a bit of trouble at times . I even seen the commercial where they were using the Nunchuks.

Old 26th November 2010, 11:53 PM

Holding the 1 button with the Wii Remote held sideways also makes DK run.

Old 27th November 2010, 12:06 AM
Formerly Chilli

Quote:
Holding the 1 button with the Wii Remote held sideways also makes DK run.
I figured it was just used for grabbing barrels/clinging. I'm glad I can use the control stick though, even though I still prefer the classic controller >.<. I assume I still need to shake for ground pound?

Old 27th November 2010, 12:14 AM

That's right. It feels more appropriate shaking both controllers though.

Old 27th November 2010, 04:38 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Picked his game up a few days ago and I'm currently on World 4. My friend (whose a FPS fanatic) said that this game is too hard, which made me laugh. It's pretty fun thus far.

However, I have a question regarding Rambi: Do I seriously have to keep shaking the Wiimote to make him charge?

Old 27th November 2010, 06:04 PM

I just died about 30-35 times on a 4th world level called Crowded Cavern. **** that level.

Old 27th November 2010, 07:51 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 1
You're Appreciated! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
However, I have a question regarding Rambi: Do I seriously have to keep shaking the Wiimote to make him charge?
Yes.

Quote:
I just died about 30-35 times on a 4th world level called Crowded Cavern. **** that level.
That level was a nightmare.

Also, SC, I tried the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls and I thought they were worse. Using Roll/Blow is so much easier on the D-Pad, than using an 8 direction Joystick, in my opinion.

Old 27th November 2010, 08:55 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Best hack ever.
Classic Controller rules (but a hombrew-ready Wii, Gecko OS or another homebrew program with its code functionality built-in required).

Last edited by Bottles98; 27th November 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Old 27th November 2010, 09:17 PM

I'm at the Golden Temple. It's pretty tough, but it's such a cool stage, I don't even mind dying so much. If there were more than one long stage, it'd be the best Lost World yet, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I haven't found any more than one jiggy in Perilous Passage, the only stage I haven't 100% (except for the Temple itself). No matter how hard I look.

Hey... favorite critter? Favorite tiki? What did you think of the final boss? Spoilers if you feel they're appropriate.

User Tag List