Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 14th August 2007, 04:47 AM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
Utility of Time 0.83.1 Released

Yes, yet another N64 level editor! This time around, it's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask! It's called "Utility of Time".

Original Post

Overview:

Utility of Time is a tool that allows a user to view and edit Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask actor (.zobj) files, map files (.zmap), visually place and change actors (also known as models, or NPCs in most cases) in the loaded room, save them, and inject back into the Debug ROM, and much more. Actors are represented as cubes in place of the actor. It's open source, too.

Graphical Features:

Uses OpenGL 1.1 - 1.4 features for rendering. 1.4 compliance is not necessary but highly recommended.
WASD FPS style camera system.
Full polygon mesh support (geometry).
Lacks texture support in releases, though allows RAW texture dumping.
Vertex colors used for primitive coloring and shading (most maps look quite nice Wink).
Per-Vertex alphas.

Release 0.83.1 Changes

+ Self contained through tabs. No more map mod dialog, everything you need is all in tabs (hide or show by clicking the button with the "<" or ">" character to the left of the window). Tabs are "Graphics", "Map", and "Map Continued". Graphics is limited right now, but will contain more in the future. Map options are the same as the old map mod dialog.
+ Dumping of actor information to a txt file ("Map" tab).
+ Manual vertex entry through the "Graphics" tab.
+ In 0.83, the picking engine would very rarely fail due to the objects drawn in the back buffer being the same scale as those shown on screen. Fixed.
+ Tool Sensitivity slider in the status bar. Should help actor or vertex positioning on larger scale models or maps (ie, box.zobj and spot00_room_0.zmap, respectively).
+ Press T to cycle through textures. I know, it's a silly thing to do, but at least you can see what textures are in use until I have time to fully rewrite the renderer. RGBA textures are red only because VB .net's overflow checking is like a morman mother who hates bit shifting (OoT uses 16bpp RGBAs, which OpenGL can support, but most GPUs don't like them, so I have to convert them to 32bpp). Will most likely be fixed next version.
+ FPS is now part of the on screen display (top right corner).
+ If zav.ini is not present or is null (first time setup), the setup dialog's cancel button will be disabled.

Download Binary

Download Source Code

It comes with a separate program to extract the Zelda ROM of your choice. It creates a series of files that the editor recognizes. I haven't done any actual editing myself, only looked at rooms, but it appears to be a nice, stable editor. I hope to see some new dungeons soon! Though I'm not exactly sure what the program is capable of.

Last edited by Timboid; 14th August 2007 at 05:00 AM.

Old 14th August 2007, 01:51 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
Ah dang, it still doesn't have textures in the editor? That's very disappointing. It was rough around the edges last time I was trying to use it, but it looks like people have been able to use it to make decent modifications.

Old 15th August 2007, 12:47 AM
Clanker

Where have you seen the "decent modifications"?

And yeah, this editor could use some more features. I'm sure more will come soon. I hope.

Old 15th August 2007, 01:22 AM
McLovin

Textures just haven't come, they've been desired since the first release. Not sure why.

Here's one example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oyi72F3Qc4

Old 15th August 2007, 02:36 AM
Lord of Games

Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
So this isn't a pain to use anymore?

Old 15th August 2007, 02:38 AM
McLovin

I think it still is.

Old 15th August 2007, 01:55 PM
Mecha-Grunty

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Note Medal 
It didn't change much...

EDIT: OR it's just me not capable to do anything...

Old 17th August 2007, 06:04 AM
Dingpot

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
I really don't quite understand how hard it is to click and move a box or vertex around...

I admit the interface is a little sloppy, but it's anything but hard.

Last edited by cooliscool; 19th August 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Old 26th October 2007, 03:31 PM
Jinjo

I don't see why they can't add textures. They aren't *that* hard to pull off

Images (at least those in the actor files) are inline, which means you are given a relative address in the file, type, bitdepth, and can deterine the height and width from the various texture commands. Then, after you have the image's attributes, you map them using the texture coordinate points contained in the point table. Not that tricky really. I'm sort of surprised they haven't done it yet. Even crummy support is better than nothing.

It's a bit easier than GE/PD in some respects. The images are contained in the file itself, so editting them doesn't mess anything up. Plus, if you have the actor's file open, you have the images as well.

Oh, just in case anyone has any funny ideas, the 'hat' in the attachment is not quite near ready yet. There's still two slight problems with it.

-Zoinkity
Attached Images
File Type: png MoT.PNG (55.2 KB, 31 views)

Old 27th October 2007, 12:32 AM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoondiddly View Post
CoolIsCool is working on it; you can see some pictures in the fifth post here.

Old 30th October 2007, 06:25 AM
Dingpot

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoondiddly View Post

Images (at least those in the actor files) are inline, which means you are given a relative address in the file, type, bitdepth, and can deterine the height and width from the various texture commands. Then, after you have the image's attributes, you map them using the texture coordinate points contained in the point table. Not that tricky really. I'm sort of surprised they haven't done it yet. Even crummy support is better than nothing.

It's a bit easier than GE/PD in some respects. The images are contained in the file itself, so editting them doesn't mess anything up. Plus, if you have the actor's file open, you have the images as well.

Oh, just in case anyone has any funny ideas, the 'hat' in the attachment is not quite near ready yet. There's still two slight problems with it.

-Zoinkity
"They"?

Anyway, the program's had nearly perfect textures for a couple months, and since about January a mostly working texture parser... A few early design problems made full texture support impossible with the dlist parser implementation, and I absolutely dreaded rewriting it, until a point came where I myself was sick of vertex colors. As far as the UVs go, the final equation is a little more than pumping the data to the GPU. The U/V coordinate divided by U/V length (which is the current texture's width/height * 32, respectively).

(OpenGL - excerpt from the rendering loop, ulength and vlength are calculated when processing the texture commands)
Code:
Gl.glTexCoord2f(meshes(v).u(ii) / ulength(texno), meshes(v).v(ii) / vlength(texno))

Oh, and map files don't always contain textures in the map file [bank 03] alone (and no CI textures' palettes are stored in the map). They, and many other textures, are stored in the map's corresponding scene file [bank 02], due to the fact that multiple map files (rooms are separated obviously) share a common scene which saves space when using the same textures among ~15 different rooms.

Not only that, but a lot of actors [bank 06] grab commonly used textures, which are usually for simulating shading in combination with some CC stuff, from the game's common files (gameplay_keep [bank 04], gameplay_field_keep [bank 05], gameplay_dangeon_keep [bank 05, never loaded with gameplay_field_keep or vice versa]).

Oh, and what a coincidence with the MoT (older pic, beta below has a few UI changes):

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...lipboard07.png

Temple of Time:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...pboard05-3.png

Edit: A little example of what it can do.. (everything moved is level geometry and each took about 1 minute total ).

1:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...pboard10-1.png
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...pboard11-1.png

2:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...lipboard13.png

And for those curious, click here to download a current beta that has texture support among other things.

Last edited by cooliscool; 30th October 2007 at 07:36 AM.

Old 30th October 2007, 05:20 PM
Clanker

I tried the 0.9 beta, and I love it! Having textures makes all the difference!

Old 31st October 2007, 04:07 AM
Glowbo

WOW this editor is 100% incredible and simple give the person who made this a cookie for me =]

Old 1st November 2007, 04:38 AM
Clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkers mom View Post
WOW this editor is 100% incredible and simple give the person who made this a cookie for me =]
Ummmm....CoolIsCool made it. He's posted several times in this very thread.

Old 2nd November 2007, 02:01 AM
Grunty's Reject

All I have to say, awsome work. I'm gonna have some fun.

User Tag List