Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 13th November 2007, 07:21 PM
Glowbo

Question Banjo-Tooie Texture Tool?

Like the BK Texture Tool, will there be one for BT?

Old 15th November 2007, 08:27 PM
Bunnycomb

Im no hacker, but yeah I guess. I think you would have to format the code to get the textures from BT, and then use the same look and interface. But hey I don't know.

Old 15th November 2007, 09:54 PM
McLovin

Total Awards: 3
INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
There isn't one, but it might be tied to cooliscool's model editor at some point.

Old 20th November 2007, 02:34 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdrag
There isn't one, but it might be tied to cooliscool's model editor at some point.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Where is he anyways? He hasn't posted an update for Bottles Glasses in ages. Probably busy with Exams or something. Oh well, you should probably just wait until it come's out.

Actually, I'm not sure on this but the Video plugin that come's with Nemu. Doesn't it have some Debug tool that let's you view the Rom's texture loaded in memory. Maybe you could use that to edit textures in a save state. That's all I can think of. Peace.

Old 20th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Clanker

Total Awards: 2
RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 
You can use a plugin, like RuneHero said. You can use, for example, Rice's Video Plugin, and use the high-resolution texture support option. It doesn't have to be high-res, it just replaces the textures in the game. It's not too hard to set up.

Old 23rd November 2007, 01:44 AM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Mudlord's version of RiceVideo is better than the old Rice plugins (on my computer, anyway.) Glide64 also supports texture loading; so if you've got a high-end graphics card, use that.

Old 23rd November 2007, 03:37 PM
Dingpot

i was working on a BT texture tool off of the bk one at a time, but i just tried it on pawno's boxes.

Old 12th December 2007, 02:23 AM
Dingpot

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
To explain my absence, my brother passed away at the age of 22 highly unexpectedly. This put my projects on the back burner... but seeing interest in Bottles' Glasses means that it'll see nice updates in the very near future.

Sorry for not keeping anyone up to date with it all, and keep tabs on me from here on out.

Regarding the question; all N64 games are nearly identical in the way the texture commands are set up (and all N64 games use an opcode based model format, only difference being the opcodes themselves). I don't imagine that once BG has full texture support it'll be much of an issue to include a texture editor, though on the same note, it wouldn't take much modification of BK Texture Tool's source to accommodate any differences. I'd be willing to do the work if I had the source.

Last edited by cooliscool; 12th December 2007 at 07:34 AM.

Old 12th December 2007, 03:03 AM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliscool
To explain my absence, my brother passed away at the age of 22 highly unexpectedly. This put my projects on the back burner... but seeing interest in Bottles' Glasses means that it'll see nice updates in the very near future
Man...I'm really sorry to hear that .

Quote:
Sorry for not keeping anyone up to date with it all, and keep tabs on me from here on out.
No, it's okay. I completely understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolisCool
all N64 games are nearly identical in the way the texture commands are setup (and all N64 games use an opcode based model format, only difference being the opcodes themselves
Neat, so would you need to use a dissassembler, such as LemASM to look for certain opcodes and crack the model formatting in a decompressed/compressed rom image?

Quote:
I don't imagine that once BG has full texture support it'll be much of an issue to include a texture editor, though on the same note, it wouldn't take much modification of BK Texture Tool's source to accommodate any differences. I'd be willing to do the work if I had the source.
I'm sure Sub will lend you it.

Would you happen to know VL_Tone by any chance? Oh, and welcome back .

Old 13th December 2007, 04:39 PM
Dingpot

Don't know VL-Tone personally, but I'm obviously aware of his (highly impressive) work.

I'll PM SubDrag about the texture tool. Would be more than happy to make it BT compatible.

About the microcodes' opcodes, no, LemASM couldn't decompile the opcodes, as they're different for each microcode, and pertain purely to graphics, while LemASM is a R4300i/COP disassembler. When writing Bottles' Glasses (already had N64 graphics experience from Utility of Time), I modified the opcodes in RAM, as they are executed on the fly, and listed changes within the game. Doing this explained visually what they did and allowed me to make my software to "listen" to the opcodes, in simple terms. Potentially one could use an N64 GPU plugin's includes, but I haven't seen one that's well documented, though they do provide useful function names (IE, in BK, opcode 0xBF = G_Tri1, parameters are indices to 3 vertices, to draw one triangle).

Edit: On the subject of N64 DisASMs, nothing can touch Viper's Renegade64.

Last edited by cooliscool; 13th December 2007 at 04:48 PM.

Old 15th December 2007, 11:42 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Ah, so the microcodes' opcode's have to do ONLY with graphic commands. That makes alot more sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolisCool
I modified the opcodes in RAM, as they are executed on the fly, and listed changes within the game. Doing this explained visually what they did and allowed me to make my software to "listen" to the opcodes, in simple terms.
Sounds tricky, but a great idea!

Old 19th December 2007, 01:41 PM
Dingpot

Yeah, and for the record, the approach is very high level. Every detail is converted to a PC-equivalent (OpenGL), and will remain that way while in RAM. Data positions in the file are stored in 1D arrays, and written back in For..Next loops.. it couldn't be more simple, but it's highly effective.

Old 19th December 2007, 09:24 PM
McLovin

Ice Mario has the source for the BK Texture Tool, I don't, but I'm not sure how much it will help you since I think you already have the image parsing method? It would be more useful to do some kind of model import or at least model image swaps. It's going to be in C++ anyways.

Old 21st December 2007, 03:59 AM
Dingpot

Yeah, though parsing the image data is half of the work - BK Texture Tool's other code would save a lot of time. I expected it'd be written in C++ (I know C++ but don't prefer it over .NET, at least not for apps that are meant for quick productivity and don't need low level conventions).

Not sure what you mean by "It would be more useful to do some kind of model import or at least model image swaps.".

Last edited by cooliscool; 21st December 2007 at 04:01 AM.

Old 21st December 2007, 04:07 AM
McLovin

(the texture tool only modifies save stat, it'd be more helpful to have your tool import models or new textures to the old models). To be fair, .net can be VB, C++, C#, etc, but I assume you mean C#.

User Tag List