Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 10th December 2014, 01:52 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banjonator View Post
Why was this praised so much again? Maybe I didn't get all the info.
The game's voice actor is really close friends with the journalist Leigh Alexander. You can see where this is going.

Old 10th December 2014, 01:58 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedSun View Post
I didn't think it was praised anywhere, actually. Everyone just thought it was an interesting concept, but mediocre execution.
Mediocre is what I would describe it as, too. And maybe I'm just misremembering, I just kept hearing games like Gone Home and Papers, Please whenever the inevitable "are games art" talks come up. Or whenever role model indie games are discussed.

The story wasn't even that mysterious because Sam just explains everything outright. It would have been more interesting if the player was left to infer what happened similar to the parents. No idea why the ghost story was even there, though. It served no purpose.

But Papers, Please is awesome. There's something just comforting stamping each passport and being able to immediately identify discrepancies.

Old 10th December 2014, 02:32 AM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Quote:
I didn't think it was praised anywhere, actually. Everyone just thought it was an interesting concept, but mediocre execution.
No, it was praised quite a bit, even receiving Game of the Year awards from a few outlets.

Old 10th December 2014, 02:42 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker View Post
No, it was praised quite a bit, even receiving Game of the Year awards from a few outlets.
If that's the game of the year for some reviewer, I seriously have to question their legitimacy. It's not even really much of a 'game'.

Old 10th December 2014, 02:55 AM
Glowbo

I've played more games in the past week or so than I have in the last month. I've been trying to clear out my massive Steam library since I'm getting a gaming PC for Christmas. Mostly it's been indie games from Steam like Mr. Bree+, Oozi: Earth Adventure and You Have to Win the Game, but I also did a speedrun of Myst (the shortest game ever if you know the secret to doing so), and (mostly) finished a PC copy of Rayman 2 I got off GOG a few months ago. Playing a 3D platformer for the first time in a while got me thinking about this place again.

Last edited by MisterEightySix; 10th December 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Old 10th December 2014, 03:18 AM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 reminds me how BS some enemies are at lower levels in that game since you don't have dodge roll yet... Especially in Land of Dragons, the dumb centaur ones that knock you away over and over again. But then when you get further, everything gets insanely easy on proud mode.

Old 10th December 2014, 03:33 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthConker View Post
Just from Adam Sessler is all I remember. Everyone else jumped on it after Sess started calling people misogynist homophobes for disagreeing with him. So really the game got popular because there was an internet fight about it.

Old 10th December 2014, 07:34 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
I've spent the entire day playing Xenogears getting twenty hours in and I still haven't hit the meat of the story yet. Hell, I'm still barely half way through the first disc. I'm not sure which will end up being longer, this, or Tales of Symphonia?

Old 10th December 2014, 11:32 AM
Glowbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I've spent the entire day playing Xenogears getting twenty hours in and I still haven't hit the meat of the story yet. Hell, I'm still barely half way through the first disc. I'm not sure which will end up being longer, this, or Tales of Symphonia?
I have to go with Assassin's Creed II.

Or was I the only one who took three months of nearly nonstop playing to finish that?

Old 10th December 2014, 12:48 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 reminds me how BS some enemies are at lower levels in that game since you don't have dodge roll yet... Especially in Land of Dragons, the dumb centaur ones that knock you away over and over again. But then when you get further, everything gets insanely easy on proud mode.
Any version of Kingdom Hearts 2 will always make me remember how bullshit the car heartless is in Timeless River. There's not a single Heartless type I hate more.
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 10th December 2014, 04:23 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I didn't say it wasn't a game, just an overrated one. Especially with a topic as big as homosexuality in a videogame, they could have made the story much more interesting with the events between Sam and Lonnie. But I guess it's cool that it exists at all. Just didn't live up to the hype in my eyes

Old 10th December 2014, 09:54 PM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

the walking simulator genre is the next big thing in gaming and the gaming community just doesn't want to admit that it's going to be the next call of duty

Old 10th December 2014, 10:31 PM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
Gone Home actually does have some small amount of puzzle solving, but it's pretty light. The focus is pretty much entirely on telling the story, which is why I'd argue that it should be categorized as interactive fiction rather than a game. You could get an adventure game that has both polished gameplay and storytelling, which is why I think the distinction is important because when you get Gone Home you're only getting storytelling. We already put Visual Novels in a different category for that reason.
TWD and some of Telltales other more recent games probably belong in the interactive fiction category as well.

Old 11th December 2014, 08:38 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

My one complaint with Xenogears' combat system is the goddamn Deathblows. I just finally figured out how the hell you actually learn them, but grinding them is a chore and forces me to put myself at a disadvantage in actual battles. It's especially frustrating because otherwise I actually haven't had to grind any levels at all so far, the game's kept things fairly well-balanced in that regard.

Otherwise, this game is ****ing awesome, Jesiah is the best asshole cowboy, Billy is the best gunslingin' priest, Rico is the best Blanka and Big Joe is the best Big Joe. And SCREW YOU, DOCTOR CITAN. YOU ARE A JERK

Old 12th December 2014, 07:41 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

I would just like to repeat that Xenogears is a good game.

There is a part where
Spoiler: (highlight to view)
you are on a flying ancient UFO city a little girl with a giant blue fighting robot pal named Seibzehn fights her dad, who's mind has been transplanted into Seibzehn's sister red fighting robot, Achtzehn, which had a drive her father installed before being turned into a giant robot that would make Seibzehn shoot him with a super laser cannon.

Sometimes Xenogears is a bit messy and the entire second disc is a mess of overambition, story creep and Final Fantasy 8-related budget cuts but when Xenogears is good it is amazing and fun and awesome and interesting in so many ****ing ways and I cannot stress how much I love this pile of horrible past scars and religious conspiracies and kung-fu mechs and gunslinging priests with giant gunslinging priest mechs that wear capes.

User Tag List