Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 15th March 2015, 08:33 AM
Best Rarely Active Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 4
Game On RWP Podcast INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal 
Project Cog

I figure I'd start a new topic regarding my 3D platformer because the old topic's gotten so big and I was extremely inspired after watching Project Ukulele's EGXTV panel. Plus, this project is not only going to be on the Wii U.

The project was inspired by the previously dropped spiritual successor that the ex-Rareware employees were making. Even though that project has resurfaced, I still plan to develop this project because I love the 3D collect-a-thon games that I grew up with. Besides, different kinds of 3D platformers were everywhere back in the days. It'll be the late 90's all over again! However, I want this project to also be able to stand on its own, be able to offer content that the other 3D platformers can't, while those other 3D platformers can offer content that Project Cog can't.

The generation who played 3d “collectathons” in the late 90’s and early 00’s have grown up, and even as adults, they keep asking for more. I’m a huge fan of these games and enjoyed collecting every single thing that could be collected. To me, it wasn’t about collecting items, it was about the journey to collect these items and how the game rewarded you for exploring every nook and cranny. There was no “wrong way” to go, there was no “dead end” that may you feel like your travels were worthless, whichever way you chose to go, you were rewarded by the game somehow. Even most of these games were “cartoonish”, these worlds felt real, and the characters only enhanced the atmosphere, making it a very believable world. Even when I finished these games and collected all of the items, I still enjoyed exploring the environments to pay attention to subtle details that the designers and modelers contributed to these worlds. I even took it a step further that, I reversed engineered Banjo-Kazooie to find unused assets hidden in the game’s database and even helped develop a tool to help people make their own Banjo-Kazooie levels. That way the duo can continue to have their adventures without the need of Rare. Needless to say, I love these games and I want the gaming public to experience more!

My goal here is to not only bring back these games to the now adult fans, but more importantly, introduce a new generation of younger audiences to the enjoyment me and the other fans felt when we played Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie for the first time. While I draw inspiration from these games, I still want this game to be able to stand on it’s own and evolve the platforming genre in a rational way.

The main idea of the platformer is that the player can switch between solo and co-op at any time. The rat usually hangs around the robot but can separate at any time. The player will be able to switch between the robot and rat at any time, but a second player can jump in at any time to control either of the characters and work together to complete multiple goals in the level at the same time. I want the entire experience to be enjoyable regardless if solo or co-op. I plan to get voice actors and I have a few more ideas to differentiate this platformer from all the others. One of them I believe is going to be an extremely strong point to this project, but I'll tell you what it is later.

---------------------------

Here's some snippets from the growing GDD:

Main Characters:
Picture (Concept Art)

Robot: A good natured but impulsively driven Robot who just wants to do good, even if it means causing minor inconveniences along the way. One of Prof Slik’s prototypes that was discarded because it was good instead of evil.
Voice Actor: TBA

Rat: A rat that’s been the victim of many scientific experiments done by Prof Slik. Lives life as a realist who does not mince at words, which can get on the nerves of other characters who have their hopes and dreams. While some may consider the Rat’s words harsh, the Rat believes his/her honesty is the best advice he/she can give them.

Prof Slik: A human who is also the evil mastermind responsible for the Robot’s creation and the rat’s dis-figuration. Hes a genius that thought he would get respect at his high school reunion, but he was scorned even by those who are working in fast food. His goal is to rig the nearby election for Municipal City’s Mayor in order to become the mayor and have the whole city appreciate his abilities. He built the Robot but discarded it as a failed prototype. Later on, he built more vicious robots that have no problem taking down anyone trying to stop the professor’s goals.

Ferret: An experienced hacker who reversed engineered Prof Slik’s hardware for years, and takes great pride in his knowledge. Unfortunately for him, little to nobody cares about his experience, and scorns whatever is popular. He believes his accomplishments should be appreciated instead due to the amount of time he devotes to his craft. However, he truly believes in the greater good and will go out of his way to help others who need his help.
-------------------------

I hope to have the first world done by the end of the year for everybody to play free of charge. As of now, all the content produced for the project will be coming out of my own pocket. Please let me know what you'd like to see or what you like or dislike about my plans so far.

Last edited by Coolboyman; 15th March 2015 at 08:50 AM.

Old 15th March 2015, 12:59 PM
Brash Breegull

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
This sounds great and I get the impression (from concept art and descriptions) that it will be slightly darker than Banjo-Kazooie. Not in the mature Conker sense, but in a more atmospheric way. A bit like MediEvil on the Playstation.

I hope you are going down the darker aesthetic route. I think that'd be a nice twist on the genre compared to all the other 3D platformers in development. The 'Happy Hell' platformer is supposedly 'dark', but it's so whimsical that it doesn't truly give off that atmosphere at all. So, you'd be the first, a least the first indie project, to have a truly macabre feel.

Can't wait to see what you make for us. There's no such thing as too many 3D platformers -- the consumers will choose which ones they want to invest in and play depending on quality.

Last edited by JohnyT94; 15th March 2015 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List