Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 18th March 2014, 08:06 PM
Quote of the Year '10 - '11

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Favorite 3DS Game(s)?

I'm seriously considering getting a 3DS within the next few days (mostly so I can ignore my massive Steam backlog as usual). What are your favorite 3DS games that you would recommend? Not just a 'tell me what games to buy' sort of thread, mostly just a companion to the favorite Wii U Game thread and because I've seen several games I'm interested in but am not too sure of what the 'must own' games are yet.

Old 18th March 2014, 08:12 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Hmm I guess Animal Crossing just for the sheer amount of time I was able to put into it before getting bored. None others come to mind at the moment

Old 18th March 2014, 08:19 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
Animal Crossing is probably my most played game for the 3DS, I have a fancy town and a fully upgraded house. It is very addictive if you are trying to get bells to upgrade your house. There are a couple trick and cheats to getting bells very quickly if you don't feel like sinking years into this game, which it expects you to do actually.

A Link Between Worlds was great but there isn't much replayability to it. I played it nonstop until I beat it 100%, after that I could have done the hard mode but opted out.

Super Mario 3D Land is a fun 3D platformer, and New Super Mario Bros 2 is really cool too, which is the game with excessive coins. Ocarina of Time 3D is fun if you want to replay OoT. And I know you said you don't feel much like Pokemon anymore, but XY are super fun and are the first Pokemon games with this kind of graphic style. It kind of makes it feel like a new experience.

Old 18th March 2014, 09:04 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Animal Crossing is fun, although the fun for me personally wore off after a couple months. It is very much just a refined version of the same Animal Crossing game that has existed since the Gamecube then. If you liked that, then you'll probably enjoy the 3DS version.

I've probably enjoyed Pokemon Y the most, I honestly think it's the best Pokemon game that's ever come out. There's a lot of complaints that it's too easy and there's not much to do after you beat the Elite Four, but Pokemon has always been an easy game. They've just removed the horribly boring grinding, and I love it for that.

Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are also fun. Avoid Paper Mario Sticker Star at all costs.

Old 18th March 2014, 09:24 PM

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Yeah, I hadn't planned on getting Sticker Star. it says a lot when Stick of Truth is the best Paper Mario game since Thousand Year Door. they really ****ed it up with Sticker Star.

New Leaf is definitely first on my list, especially since I've only played the Gamecube AC and have been really craving a new one.

Old 18th March 2014, 09:24 PM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
I also agree on Animal Crossing. I didn't really realize how much I've played since it's so easy to play for a little bit as a daily routine.

In terms of RPGs, I've enjoyed both Pokemon X and SMTIV. The online stuff added to Pokemon is probably the best feature the series has ever gained. I usually don't play an awful lot past the main game but all the changes that have been made have me playing over 300 hours and counting. SMT offers a bit more of a hardcore experience and it's really interesting, just don't play it on a crowded plane during sections where penis-demons keep wanting to start conversations and take up the whole screen with their heads.

For download stuff, Liberation Maiden and Attack of the Friday Monsters are both really great and are on very opposite sides of the gaming spectrum.

Old 18th March 2014, 09:45 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Sonic Generations. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting since Modern Sonic was only in 2D, but I was very pleased.

I only have Pokemon X (the worst addition to the main franchise but good nonetheless), Luigi's Mansion 2, DKCR3D, and Super Mario 3D Land.

I haven't played much of Luigi or DK and I beat 3D Land. 3D Land was good, but I hate 8-Crown. It's level design bullshit can suck my dick. Made me hate the game for a good month or so. The only thing that keeps me from playing more of Luigi and DK is I just dont have the time, especially since I never want to move on in DK until I have all of the collectibles.

Old 19th March 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
I also agree on Animal Crossing. I didn't really realize how much I've played since it's so easy to play for a little bit as a daily routine.

In terms of RPGs, I've enjoyed both Pokemon X and SMTIV. The online stuff added to Pokemon is probably the best feature the series has ever gained. I usually don't play an awful lot past the main game but all the changes that have been made have me playing over 300 hours and counting. SMT offers a bit more of a hardcore experience and it's really interesting, just don't play it on a crowded plane during sections where penis-demons keep wanting to start conversations and take up the whole screen with their heads.

For download stuff, Liberation Maiden and Attack of the Friday Monsters are both really great and are on very opposite sides of the gaming spectrum.
Have you (or anyone else in this thread, it's just that you mentioned RPGs) played Harvest Moon 3D? I've heard good things but I'm not too sure about it yet.

Old 19th March 2014, 11:21 AM
Von Kriplespac

INFECTED - B1K1 
No, haven't played Harvest Moon. That continues to be a series I want to jump back into but never get around to.

Old 19th March 2014, 09:09 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
I also forgot I have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS which improves on all the game mechanics and I love building Paradise but the fact that it doesn't have all of the Gen 5 Pokemon, let alone all of the Pokemon at the time like its predecessors did really makes the game a let down once the story is over. It just feels like it's lacking content delivered in previous titles. You can't recruit legendaries that are bosses and it only has one post game mission as opposed to an entire other story like the previous two games. Plus it also has expensive as hell and cold, heartless DLC. The game already lacks content the game offered for free, like a super dungeon that sets your levels to 1 and makes you go through 99 floors.

Old 19th March 2014, 09:19 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 15
Mystery Four Mystery Three Mystery Two Mystery One INFECTED - B2K1 
mystery dungeon was the biggest disappointment to me on the 3ds so far. Horrendously long dialogues, excruciatingly plain and repetitive dungeon generation. I got bored out of my skull.

My recommends are: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokémon X/Y, Mario 3D Land. Those are the most accessible titles on the handheld so far that everyone should be able to enjoy (haven't played ALBW yet)
\_(❀❀) _/
/ ◯◯ \
☄╯  ╰ シ

Old 19th March 2014, 09:49 PM
Formerly GoldenJiggies

INFECTED - B2K1 
Oh, the dungeon generation. I almost forgot about that part. They were horribly bland and uninsteresting and they made 20 floor dungeons feel like an eternity as opposed to the old games. There's a reason why Sky Towere goes up to ~40 when the last dungeon in the new game doesn't even do 30. My number might be off but you get the point.

Anything to reccomend on 3DS is Sonic Generations, 3D Land, and Pokemon X. I honestly haven't played enough of New Moon or Returns and for some reason don't really have much of a desire to pick them back up. :/

Old 19th March 2014, 10:33 PM
Lord of Games

Total Awards: 2
Game On INFECTED - B1K1 
By far, my favorite 3DS game is Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It's a fantastic visual novel/puzzle game with a great story. You have to play Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (A DS game) first though, as this one is a direct sequel.

Basically, think of it as being like "SAW meets Phoenix Wright". The game is based around the Prisoner's Dilemma, forcing you to decide if you want to ally or betray with other characters in a game of life and death. The characters have to cooperate with each other to solve puzzles but cannot trust each other. It's a very interesting situation and has some very mind-blowing twists. Just... Play 999 first, because a lot of the twists lack impact if you don't.

Old 20th March 2014, 11:33 AM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 
So far I have to recommend Animal Crossing, Pokemon X or Y, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I've got Ocarina of Time 3D as well, but mostly because I wanted to see the changes that were made and to finally play through Master Quest.

Old 21st March 2014, 07:19 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
I only have Pokémon Y right now. But that's kinda all I need.

Tags
nintendo

User Tag List