Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 25th March 2008, 10:27 PM
Strangest Member '08 - '10

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Wiki-Master INFECTED - B1K1 
Lightbulb Subspace Emissary discussion?

I think the SSE deserves it's own little thread, because the main SSBB discussion thread has hardly gone into its conceits as much and since there's so much to talk about there it'd be hard to keep a conversation about the SSE going smoothly. Basically, I'm wondering what you guys thought of the new adventure mode. Is it better than in SSBM? Worse? Did you like the plot, and all that sort of stuff?

I liked it quite a bit, actually. Sure, that "Great Maze" cheat was exceedingly annoying and a cheap way to present the finale to the game, which could have been a thousand times better, but hey, this game gave me that old-school feel of playing a game like Donkey Kong Country or Yoshi's Island, (even the hunting for bonuses felt like in these two) and I loved the fact that, lame half-assed new enemies aside, they really tried to recreate the "feel" of the franchises it dealt with, especially DKC, Yoshi, and Zelda, (and, I assume, Kid Icarus, but I've never even touched that game) which was greatly complemented by the music.

I just have one problem, though. Pwning the baddies by transforming enemies into trophies is a real b*tch. More often than not, I'll get a trophy stand just as all the enemies onscreen have already been defeated, and those things go away way to freaking fast for you to clear the screen of everything but the one you wanna snag. I have many captured enemies so far, (three or four pages in the gallery) but some I invariably fail to get, including those horrible pillbug-wheels that shoot fire / ice / electricity at you. Don't tell me each flavor of pillbug-wheel counts as a different enemy? I sure hope not.

Also, Tabuu was pretty darn lame. They made him too human. I wanted a real mystery, but no...

Old 25th March 2008, 10:32 PM
Kevin Frederline

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 Basic Forum Rules RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I beat it and it says 77%, why is that?

Old 25th March 2008, 10:33 PM

You're probably missing some orange boxes or secret doors.

I made it up to 92% meself, and I'll be darned if I can find the other doors.

Old 25th March 2008, 10:37 PM
The Last Gunslinger

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
What is there to discuss? It was a bad game, and this sent it over the edge to goddawful. It's almost as if the didn't even care, knew they were getting the good or not. The whole game is a slap in the face for people like me who checked the site everyday since I thought I had a great game coming. It's a shame.

Old 25th March 2008, 10:39 PM

I call that an exaggeration. It was a good game, interesting and fun.

You probably had an idealistic conception of it, but it's really just Adventure Mode with a plot.

Old 25th March 2008, 11:00 PM
Jolly Rodger

RWP Note Medal 
The Subspace Emissary for me was everything I expected it to be and more. For years I have wanted an adventure game that would mix all Nintendo characters together in one adventure to fight against a common enemy, and while SSE wasn't exactly what I had in mind, it does what it does well. It's a step in the right direction and I could see Nintendo following through with a game similar to it that could stand on its own.

The cutscenes and the gameplay, imo, was well done and amazing. The nostalgic feeling it all brought with it was tried and true and didn't disappoint in anyway. From the wanting of a new DKCish style game with the barrel blasting portions to the scene where Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf unite together to fight Zabu, it was an experience that has never been felt in any Nintendo title before it.

However, it wasn't perfect. If there was one thing upsetting it was the ending. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. And even more disappointing was the fact that even after obtaining 100%, the ending did not change.

But overall, I loved it and can definately see myself playing through it time and time again once I've completed all the challenges and obtained all the trophies and stickers (which I am nearly done with, by the way). So kudos to Sakurai and the rest of the Brawl team for a job well done.

Old 25th March 2008, 11:01 PM
The Last Gunslinger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Truthfully, what was the plot? I was someone the whole time saying to my friends to give it a chance, it has to have a plot, and that it was still a good game. But that was completely lieing to myself. Your saving the world from Subspace? Which is evil, I guess? And the main bad guy is... I guess Tabuu, who came in at the very end. It was like a choppy low-rate movie, and if you can point out any sense in the whole thing, I'd be really suprised.

Old 25th March 2008, 11:06 PM
Showdown Town Tour Guide

Total Awards: 11
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal RWP Note Medal RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
I really just thought it was supposed to be a giant Nintendo cluster**** adventure with movies (and two guests). In that regard it did its job well, the first part was MILDLY fun, the cutscenes were entertaining...the only real complaint I have is The Great Maze, which is not only a retread but as far as I remember, also featured no story sequences at all, which means that it had no reason, period, to exist.

Oh, another thing though, some of those enemies can go to hell. The Mites, Greaps and...whatever the hell those ghost things were called are little ****s.

Last edited by Bottles98; 25th March 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Old 25th March 2008, 11:14 PM
The Last Gunslinger

INFECTED - B1K1 
Of dear god, those and the little Motor Bike ****ers. Little queefs were all unbeatable, the whole lot of them

Old 26th March 2008, 01:05 AM

I liked the Greaps. From the moment I saw them, they reminded me of SMB2 enemies, a little off-kilter but fun, kind of like Birdo. In fact, if you think about it, all of the SSE enemies have a little SMB2 flavor to them, don't they? The "ghost things" (Floow) were indeed disgusting things, although they reminded me of Xana's ghosts from Code Lyoko and that is a show I'm rather fond of, but their gimmick of regaining their energy every time you hit them without killing them was sh*t, and their attack power is blown ridiculously out of proportion.

The bikers were called Roaders. And man, are they cool.

Old 26th March 2008, 01:17 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
I didn't expect much from it, and I didn't get much from it, so I guess I broke even.

Also, the story didn't have a magnificent allure on me like it did most people. OH WOW THIS WHOLE TIME IT WASN'T THE MASTER HAND IT WAS TABUU. Wait, why would it be the Master Hand in the first place. And hold on, who's Tabuu. And what is the motivation behind... forget it.

Note to Mandolin: Each of the elemental guys count individually.

Old 26th March 2008, 01:19 AM
Alumni Staff

Awesome Default Medal 
I'll repost this:

Quote:
Did any of you start looking at Brawl differently after beating SSE?

It seems like all of the major fighting series (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.) have some sort of plot. Granted, they're never on the level of RPGs, but there's a connecting story nevertheless. Smash Brothers always seemed to be this exception--yes, the original gave off the impression that the characters were just toys being put into situations by the player (a.k.a. Master Hand), but that wasn't a story. And Melee's adventure mode wasn't really a cohesive adventure.

But then came SSE.

The ending of the game and the revealing of the theme song's lyrics did it for me. Finally--there's a reason why this random group of characters is getting together to battle. They all live in the same world, more or less, and this evil force from beyond comes down to attempt to ruin it all. Only by joining forces and fighting their way through the Subspace army can they restore peace to the planet. It's very Kingdom Hearts-esque.

Instead of seeing SSE as a supplement to the fighting game, I now see it the other way around. And now, certain character choices (like R.O.B.for instance) make sense (he's important to the plot of the story). Others like Sonic seem completely random, but there are only a few of those.

So yeah. Anyone else think of it like this?

Old 26th March 2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jinjo View Post
Also, the story didn't have a magnificent allure on me like it did most people. OH WOW THIS WHOLE TIME IT WASN'T THE MASTER HAND IT WAS TABUU. Wait, why would it be the Master Hand in the first place. And hold on, who's Tabuu. And what is the motivation behind... forget it.
It's just that the Master Hand has always been toted as the main "villain" behind the SB series, almost making it look like he's deliberately making the characters fight, for his own perverse entertainment, since the opening of the very first Smash. This twisted things around a little bit, and even though I didn't find that particular plot twist especially awe-inspiring, I see where these guys are coming from. Also, his trophy says that he likes challenging big winners to a private fight, which is totally different from the "he wants to whoop yo' little arse!" mentality we thought of him.

Also, I like the fact that we didn't get to discover Tabuu's motivation. It makes him seem more godlike and unknowable, especially considering the fact that Master and Crazy were already (and still are) established as the link between reality and the video-game world, and all of a sudden we find out that they've been in the absolute control of a mysterious, previously unseen entity all along. I hope we see more of Tabuu in the future... just as long as he always stays just outside the realm of our understanding.

As for Giga Bowser: If you take a look at all the (limited) Giga Bowser mythos that accumlated from the last two SSB games, you can kind of tell that his "angle" is that Giga Bowser is what Bowser would be like if he were a real creature in the real world; when his trophy breaks at the Final Destination, (the edge of the video-game world) he "crosses over" and becomes as devastating as a creature of his description would be to us. And, you know, I'm glad Bowser was the one to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ
Note to Mandolin: Each of the elemental guys count individually.
...@*&^($&%(#))@#&$!!!!!!! [/AVGN]

gasp, gasp gasp... all right, I feel better now. (deep breath)

Old 26th March 2008, 02:20 AM
Most Missed Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 8
SteamLink Verified Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Viva Piñata TiP Mastery 
I think that leaving a character "dark and mysterious" is just a plot device to dodge coming up with a real plot .

Old 26th March 2008, 02:21 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 5
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox INFECTED - B1K1 
SSE was quite fun. I just beat it yesterday.

Great Maze, I thought, was fun. But I'm not too picky. So...

Tabuu had no apparent motive. This annoyed me. He also had red rings of death. This annoyed me even more.

Now what annoyed me the most was all the characters I'm not too good with were put on teams together. Those levels became really hard.

But, in the end, SSE ruled.

Tags
brawl, smash, smash bros., smash bros. brawl, sse, subspace emissary, super, super smash bros.

User Tag List