Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 13th January 2015, 12:48 AM
Funniest Member ('13 - '14)

Total Awards: 2
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMagicΓ View Post
Metroid Prime 2 is (in my opinion) the worst in the series.

Imagine encountering an underwater level in a platformer. You have limited air, but don't have to deal with swimming controls. Any enemy that hurts you takes away from your air meter, but to make the level possible (due to its length and no way of resurfacing for air) the developers added in air bubbles. Standing in them slowly refills your air... veeeeery slowly. To beat the level in the most cautious way possible, you need to stand in the air bubble, and because of how slow it refills your air meter, do something else for literally minutes. Even FarmVille allows you to visit neighbors' farms while waiting for timers; this water level is less engaging than FarmVille at times. Just replace "air meter" with health, "air bubble with "light beacon", and "water level" with "dark world" and you have the more unpleasant half of Metroid Prime 2.

Halfway through the game, your health no longer ticks down outside of bubbles, but to fully heal you'll still need to AFK in them for minutes at a time. The dark world becomes slightly more bearable, but by this point in time you'll have seen the vast majority of the enemies you'll encounter in it. In MP1, the first two thirds of the second to last area, the Phazon Mines, was filled with nothing but space pirates and a few turrets. Space pirates were an already established enemy in the series, so where they could go with it was limited. Despite this, they made normal, airborne, and invisible pirates as well as ones weak to one specific weapon, giant ones with cannons, and giant tanky ones. The Ing (the inhabitants of the dark world) are newcomers to the series and love in an alternate world; the possibilities were endless, and since half the game is full of them you would think there would be some quality work put into diversifying them. Instead what we got were 4 actual kinds of Ing, a tentacle, and a glorified Zelda jar. The rest of the dark world is pitch black recolors of light world enemies.

The worst part is that even if they had put effort in diversifying the enemies, it wouldn't have mattered. Metroid Prime had a system where with the exception of two enemies, everything you fought fell into five categories; weak to everything you have in your arsenal, strong against anything, or weak to one of three weapons you have. Some weaknesses were obvious (electric ball immune to all but one beam being weak to said beam) while others required a bit more guessing and checking (flying space pirates weak to... fire?), but either way you had to experiment, and since the last beam isn't obtained until 95% of the way through the game, sometimes you had to make due with a less than ideal beam.

Metroid Prime 2 throws this out the window. Almost immediately, you get handed the light beam and the dark beam. If you're in the light world, the dark beam two shots everything and if you're in the dark world the light beam two shots everything. The end.

Then there's the "exploration". Of every non-linear Metroid game to date, Prime 2 takes by and far the longest to require you to backtrack, nearly 2/3 of the way through the game. The reason backtracking works in the other games is that they teach it from a point very early on, from the overpass requiring the morph ball in the original to everything in the first 20 minutes of Super Metroid to Prime leaving you no direct path to go to after getting the spider ball (notably later than the other examples, but still easily the first half of the game, and by giving you no other path it encourages backtracking). Right before the second of three major pre-finale bosses, Prime 2 requires an item from an earlier zone with no indication that you have to backtrack and no prior case of teaching the player that backtracking can be required for progression; this is just flat out bad game design.

If you manage to get through most of the game and you're trying to play safely, when you see a big new hub you do the same thing you'd do in any other Metroid game; backtrack to the nearest save point in case something goes horribly wrong and save before venturing out. What's this? There's a puzzle? You try for half an hour, thinking you're missing something, before consulting google. Apparently the game is bugged, and is now literally impossible to complete without glitches (ones that don't even work on the Wii remakes, mind you). Keep in mind that this is right before the last major boss.

If you manage to avoid the most common game breaking bug since Final Fantasy 4's Chocobo Island, you'll beat the last major boss and be ready to move on to the last area... only to run into a repeat of one of the worst parts of Metroid Prime all over again. Prime 1 had a treasure hunt right before the end, all of whose objectives could be sorted into one of two categories; ones that give you very specific directions (go to this room in chozo ruins that we'll flat out name and interact with the only switch in the room you haven't yet to find the artifact under the statue) or are extremely vague (there's a hidden shrine in Magmoor Caverns glhf). The first type turns the game into a chore, heavily resembling fetch quests in modern MMOs. The latter require the player to fully explore the game world, which begs the question: if 100% and beating the game are separated so people with no interest of mastering the game can say they beat it, why require such vague tasks? There's also the issue of instant gratification upon finding an item; all non-scavenger hunt items provide it, whether they instantly provide you an ability or increase your health, the results are there the moment you make your discovery. If you get an artifact it's useless without the others. Prime 3 solves these problems with a collectible that you don't need all of to beat the game, but are required for certain bonuses. As you get more you instantly get new access to a small zone, no questions asked. Prime 2 looks at Prime 1's system and changes nothing.

My last gripe has more to do with it abandoning what made the series great than anything, and I feel a game should be judged on its own merits, not in comparison to its predecessors, so this is more of a minor point. The game ruins the feeling of isolation with the constantly nagging Luminoth. Adding dialog to Metroid is fine, as long as you do it right. Prime 3 has you working towards ends Samus would want to achieve one way or another, anyone that helps you along the way is doing just that; helping you, not the other way around. In Prime 2, you help ancient bug people because... you have a hate crush on dark Samus I guess? And you somehow guess that fighting the Ing will lead you to her? Maybe she sympathizes with them after her losing her Chozo caretakers, but the game does nothing to even remotely hint at this.
enough

Old 13th January 2015, 01:25 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Colberto View Post
enough
Metroid Prime 2 is bad.

Old 13th January 2015, 02:32 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
I respect his opinion, but I don't have the energy to go through each of his bits to offer a counter point. Except that considering Samus saw a dark version of herself sucking up phazon on Dark Aether, it's no wonder she'd want to help the Luminoth (aside from the fact that she probably just wanted to hep since they were a friend of the Chozo). She wanted to find out what that creature was.

Just finished Prime 3. Loved it, and the secret ending should tie into Prime 4.

Hoping for a 2D 3DS Metroid game and Prime 4 for wii u dual release

Old 13th January 2015, 02:37 AM
Jinjo

That would be amazing, plus they could do a cross product promotion like they did for the MP/MF connectivity bonuses.

Old 13th January 2015, 03:32 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Personally I am looking forward to Metroid Other M 2: Return of Other M, a 3DS sequel with greyscale graphics making use of the 3DS' 3D features to really make the deep monologues pop out

Old 13th January 2015, 04:55 AM
Von Kriplespac

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 5 Participation Award 
I've heard Sakamoto doesn't like the Prime series very much. Supposedly the Prime trilogy was going to be about the origin of the metroids, so Sakamoto wrote an origin story in Fusion in order to stop them.

Old 13th January 2015, 04:59 AM
Formerly Jinjonator_Dude

Sakamoto is a dumb butt man and a pretty bad writer, so I'd have preferred having Prime contain the origin story honestly. It's pretty amazing how he managed to create the one game that could potentially be the cause for why there hasn't been any news on a new Metroid in a while.

Last edited by The Colonel; 13th January 2015 at 05:03 AM.

Old 13th January 2015, 02:11 PM
Von Kriplespac

That's what happens when you make a handheld system that needs to render three different scenes all the time.

Old 13th January 2015, 11:15 PM
Brian Brian is offline he / him
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I've been playing Saint's Row IV because I just bought it the other day. It is the best thing I bought so far and managed to keep my playing for more than 6 hours of the not much free time I have. That MUST mean it's good, right?

Old 13th January 2015, 11:23 PM
Von Kriplespac

Playing Flight Simulator X which I got from the Steam sale. I always feel like I'm the smartest person ever when I can set the trim right.

Old 14th January 2015, 12:26 AM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Finally doing Metroid Prime 1 for a 100% run on all three games. This game is interesting because it's the Prime that is most similar to the 2D games in atmosphere and gameplay. It's an amazing representation of what the 2D games would look like if they were made in a 3D world. Prime 2 and 3 is when the series got their own "feel" to it, while also keeping just enough of the 2D games to make a perfect combination of new and old.

The only thing I wish that these games did is have a dot in each map with a weapon upgrade like in the 2D games, so when I'm at the end trying to find everything I don't have to try and remember which upgrades I picked up and which I didn't.

Old 14th January 2015, 01:00 AM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
Been playing LittleBigPlanet 3 and stuff.

Blep!!

Old 14th January 2015, 02:25 AM
Von Kriplespac

I didn't like the map much in Metroid Prime. Sometimes I would lose all sense of depth for what I was looking at and then start trying to rotate it thinking the map was upside-down.

Old 14th January 2015, 02:28 AM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
That happened to me so many times and I would just sit there rotating it in utter confusion

I would see this: http://www.art-saloon.ru/big/item_3489.jpg

Old 14th January 2015, 02:30 AM
Von Kriplespac

Yeah, that's exactly it. I can't think of any better way they could have represented the maps though, except perhaps giving them some textures.

User Tag List