Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > General Gaming

General Gaming Discuss anything gaming related here. Nintendo, Xbox, Sony, PC, mobile, or even the Ouya!

Old 8th February 2014, 01:20 AM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breegullbeak View Post
So I started Bioshock Infinite and so far I'm not that impressed. It's a linear shooter with some super powers. It's pretty, but even that it. I'm not that far in yet so hopefully the story and gameplay will get better.
The gameplay is pretty lackluster. The only reason I finished was to see how the story ended. I liked it overall but I don't think it's worth the praise it got. I think the story gets more interesting when you start using Elizabeth's powers in more important ways than just getting health and ammo (don't want to spoil anything)

I'm playing Hearthstone, recently. I think it's a really cool idea because with physical card games, unless you know the rules 100% there's a chance each party might be doing stuff that's illegal. In a videogame form, the game makes things much simpler to follow.
I suck at strategizing, though.

Old 8th February 2014, 06:00 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
I've been playing Torchlight since I've had it installed but never played it, and it's amazing. I'm going to buy Torchlight II maybe. I heard it's even better.

Old 8th February 2014, 06:30 AM
Forever Mental

You're Appreciated! 
me and brian are addicted to torchlight, holy shit

Old 8th February 2014, 06:52 PM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 10
You're Appreciated! Bashful Imagination Game On Reminiscence 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banjonator View Post
The gameplay is pretty lackluster. The only reason I finished was to see how the story ended. I liked it overall but I don't think it's worth the praise it got. I think the story gets more interesting when you start using Elizabeth's powers in more important ways than just getting health and ammo (don't want to spoil anything)
Yeah I just now rescued Elizabeth today and will hopefully get to play more after work. The story is picking up, but the game play is pretty terrible.

Old 8th February 2014, 08:04 PM
DarkJinjo Dyrenzo

Total Awards: 13
You're Appreciated! Thread Starter SteamLink Verified Awesome Default Medal RWP Podcast 
I bought Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman on Steam today and I've been playing it for a few hours now. I love it's addictive gameplay and how easy it is to navigate the world and get shit done quickly.

You traverse the overworld similar to Mario, clicking on the places you want to go and the swordsman will walk over there, but be warned of the random battle encounters that happen quite a bit, yet not enough to become super tedious. Like Adventure of Link's overworld done right.

The gameplay consists of killing all the enemies on screen during each battle, you have a sword and you auto attack whenever you're near an enemy, you need to autoattack to build up to use regular attacks. It might seem like a weird concept but in action it's really fun.

It is really a platformer, too because you're always jumping around dodging projectiles and harmful terrain, the graphics remind me of Cave Story which is awesome.

Also you gain experience and gold for the battles you win, you get sweet perks as you level up and you buy better armor throughout the game with your winnings. I would recommend this game to anyone that has Steam, it is a steal at $5.00 USD.

Old 8th February 2014, 09:51 PM
Formerly Chilli

Total Awards: 8
Bashful Imagination Game On Rarity Chatterbox 
Quote:
Yeah I just now rescued Elizabeth today and will hopefully get to play more after work. The story is picking up, but the game play is pretty terrible.
You think so? What difficulty are you playing on? If anything, it's much more involved and fast paced than previous games, and makes you use nearly every tool at your disposal to not die. I assume you're playing on hard, because that's how games like this are meant to be played. Flying up and down on the sky rails while only a few shots will kill you is quite hair-raising.

Old 8th February 2014, 11:34 PM
DJ Jamjars

Total Awards: 7
You're Appreciated! Imagination Game On Reminiscence Chatterbox 
I've been rather pre-occupied with New Leaf but I do find some time to play Earthbound.

Blep!!

Old 9th February 2014, 04:24 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedSun View Post
You think so? What difficulty are you playing on? If anything, it's much more involved and fast paced than previous games, and makes you use nearly every tool at your disposal to not die. I assume you're playing on hard, because that's how games like this are meant to be played. Flying up and down on the sky rails while only a few shots will kill you is quite hair-raising.
Yeah hard is the only way to play. It's just really bland. I've never played 2 and only played part of a demo of 1 before getting bored. The combat doesn't really feel polished, the Vigors all seem uninspired, and the game is at it's most enjoyable when I'm just walking around exploring and that's not a good sign.

Old 9th February 2014, 10:16 AM
Satan

You're Appreciated! 
Well....

Silent Hill: Homecoming is good for the little bit I've played, however I had to read some of the lore/watch the movie before I really got into it. Its backstory is extremely good and it really drives the gameplay.

I really like Mafia II's take on the Crime Sandbox (Whatever you'd call it) genre. Really story-based, and not afraid to do something drastic to the player to really immerse him/her in the game and make them feel the pain/glory that Vito feels when he's making it good in the Family, busting ass doing boring laborwork, or having everything stripped from him when he really needs it most. Enjoying it through and through.

Doom (I just recently beat it) is a downright great classic experience that took what's great about Survival games, Dungeoncrawlers, and FPS (Albeit, only horizontal in nature) and combines them in one, and the fact that it was so original and intuitive for its time really impressed me. Seriously, even the graphically aged artwork gave me the feel of "damn... this place is scary" as I was playing and made me want to know even more about what was going on in the world (Mars/Earth/Hell). Loved every second of it. Began the extra episode 4 and JESUS it's hard! I only play on the second hardest difficulty (Idk how people are so good at Nightmare...) and it's kicking my ass time after time haha. Doom II started out pretty good, but I just have sentimental value with the first Doom so much that playing the second one just made me want to replay the first one. Doom III seems pretty good, just a farcry from the hectic first 2. However, it does set the mood in a way the first two just couldn't (However, Doom 64 set this same mood with Classic Doom Gameplay), so that's a plus. Going to play it more when I get farther through my stack of games.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen seems pretty cool. It has a really cool class system and a nice challenge to it, but there was MUCH much more I thought they could have down with the strategizing elements of your pawns, as opposed to just "Go (Take the lead/Offense)", "Come (Take the Rear/Defense)", and "Assist (Heal/Tank on me)". Although some would debate that's all you need in combination with the intricate class set-up system and the way each individual attack/ability serves a great purpose for the team (A big plus), I think they could have done a lot more with it, at least Individual Unit commands, and Mass Effects "Use this ability on this target right now" wheel. Other than that, it's a pretty solid game from what I've played.

Metroid Prime is pretty cool, although I think the controls are a bit irritating from time to time. I think just modern FPS games have spoiled me. However the game is nice, narrative is really good, and the game still retains that platformer feel even after changing camera/playstyle so greatly. It does seem a bit linear from the bits of Super Metroid I've watched (Really need to get and play this game btw. Can't believe I've gone this long without playing it. It looks like such a great game.). Overall good sofar.

Was starting over a playthrough of Final Fantasy IX most recently, however a disk scratch has caused a critical loading error so I'm stuck just 2 to 3 hours into the first disk. Really irritated by that as it's easily my favorite classic-style JRPG and super easily my favorite Final Fantasy.

That's about it. I start too many games at one time. There's so many games I have I probably won't finish XD

Old 9th February 2014, 07:22 PM
Most Underappreciated Member '11 - '12

Total Awards: 2
INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Bash Day 3 Participation Award 
Recently finished Alan Wake, and while I enjoyed the game, I didn't really like how it ended. Then again, I knew it was coming the whole time since the game kept poking fun at the idea of it. The pacing was fine, but the combat was kinda hit or miss. There were a bunch of times enemies would spawn behind me, and the game gave me no indication until they struck me. It was annoying to say the least (this picked up heavily in the Special Episodes).

But, still, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I bought it when it was a Humble Bundle Weekly sale thing, and didn't even bother with it until last week .

Old 9th February 2014, 07:27 PM
Brash Breegull

INFECTED - B1K1 
Recently bought the original Spyro and Crash trilogy for PS1, as well as Pandemonium 1 and 2; and Ecco The Dolphin for the Dreamcast.

Completed Spyro The Dragon and have moved onto the second one.

Crash Bandicoot is a lot harder than I remember.

Ecco The Dolphin keeps crashing because my Dreamcast is terrible.

Old 11th February 2014, 12:38 AM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
I just bought Borderlands 2: GOTY on the Steam Weekend Sale.. what class do I choose?

Old 11th February 2014, 12:52 AM
Humba Wumba

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I just bought Borderlands 2: GOTY on the Steam Weekend Sale.. what class do I choose?
Siren and Assassin are pretty awesome

Old 13th February 2014, 04:07 AM
Rare Witch Hero

So I've made it through what I'll call the first two parts of Bioshock Infinite now and while it's gotten better, I still enjoy the world more then the gameplay.

Old 13th February 2014, 06:00 AM
Rare Witch Hero

Total Awards: 6
You're Appreciated! INFECTED - B2K1 Reminiscence Chatterbox Grey Note Medal 
Quote:
So I've made it through what I'll call the first two parts of Bioshock Infinite now and while it's gotten better, I still enjoy the world more then the gameplay.
I heard the same thing, that the world is more interesting and would be better off for some type of game like an adventure game. I'm still interested in playing it and I want to so bad.

User Tag List