Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic > Homebrew Games and Tools

Homebrew Games and Tools If you've created a trainer, texture editor, or a full-blown fangame we'd like to see it here. Show off your mad programming skills.

Old 16th June 2009, 10:54 PM
Glowbo

Menu texts of Banjo & Kazooie

Hi everyone.

I'm making a full Spanish translation of Banjo & Kazooie. I had no problems until now. I even managed to edit the font, but I cannot find none of the menu texts: language selection menu, game selection, etc.

Does anyone know where are those texts?

Also, I think that gedecompressor doesn't decompress all the files of the game. Could that be the reason?

Thanks in advance

Old 17th June 2009, 10:43 AM
Dingpot

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm making a full Spanish translation of Banjo & Kazooie. I had no problems until now. I even managed to edit the font, but I cannot find none of the menu texts: language selection menu, game selection, etc.

Does anyone know where are those texts?

Also, I think that gedecompressor doesn't decompress all the files of the game. Could that be the reason?

Thanks in advance
The stuff like the menu texts are all actual textures that I think are attached to modles. So right now you cant edit it until bottles glasses comes out with its next release.

Old 17th June 2009, 12:10 PM
Glowbo

Thanks for the answer.

I have to wait to the next version of Bottle's Glasses to edit them, but with the current version, those texts are supposed to be seen? Because, I haven't seen anything related to menu texts. Only textures like Game Over, or Press Start. But that wasn't what I was looking for.

I mean texts like the ones of the screenshots attached.

Thanks anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bk1.jpg (67.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg bk2.jpg (65.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg bk3.jpg (68.7 KB, 29 views)

Old 18th June 2009, 03:14 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Yeah, there are extra files at the end of ROM that the GEdecompressor don't extract due to them not being listed in the main file pointer table.

I wrote my own tool based on the decompressor source to extract them, but injecting them back into ROM doesn't seem to work currently. However, they'll be fully accessible when I release the first version of my ROM editor(probably in a couple months) and you'll be able to edit all the text.

I need to find where the font data is stored too...

Old 18th June 2009, 03:50 PM
Glowbo

Thanks for the answer. So, do you confirm that there are texts in those files that are not in the pointer table, included the menu ones?

However, gedecompressor extracts 3005 bin files (PAL Version), but if I'm not mistaken, there are around 3600 pointers in the main table. It is an issue with the PAL version? In the USA version extracts all the files in the main table?

BTW, the font in the USA version is in 4A85E0.bin, in the PAL version is in 4A2D80.bin, and in Banjo & Tooie PAL version is in 0BB2B7C.bin.

Hope this is useful to you

Old 18th June 2009, 09:49 PM
Rarewitch Hero

Total Awards: 5
SteamLink Verified INFECTED - B1K1 RWP Podcast Awesome Default Medal Thread Starter 
Don't forget that the fst also contains 'null' entries, which may account for the difference.

Old 20th June 2009, 08:15 PM
DJ Jamjars

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan
Thanks for the answer. So, do you confirm that there are texts in those files that are not in the pointer table, included the menu ones?

However, gedecompressor extracts 3005 bin files (PAL Version), but if I'm not mistaken, there are around 3600 pointers in the main table. It is an issue with the PAL version? In the USA version extracts all the files in the main table?
Yeah, I remember seeing them in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan
BTW, the font in the USA version is in 4A85E0.bin, in the PAL version is in 4A2D80.bin, and in Banjo & Tooie PAL version is in 0BB2B7C.bin.

Hope this is useful to you
Thanks! Now hopefully I can include a font editor as well.

Old 21st July 2009, 08:20 AM
Glowbo

Hi again. Finally, I've translated the whole game... but no menus yet xD.

I thought of extracting manually the files at the end of the rom, but it seems that those files don't start with 1172, right? So I don't know where is the beginning and where is the end.

runehero123, what is the process you made to decompress those files?

Old 21st July 2009, 04:34 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
I hate to rain on your parade, but it's already in Spanish...

Old 21st July 2009, 10:08 PM
Glowbo

Orly? Where?

If it's true, it doesn't matter, I'm in a more or less famous translation group and one of our goals is to achieve the best quality translations. The only translation I know of this game is unfinished, without editing the font, etc. And even if there is another one completed out there, I highly doubt that it has the same quality. I even adapted all the rhymes, so they rhyme in Spanish too xD.

Old 22nd July 2009, 04:02 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoChan View Post
Orly? Where?

If it's true, it doesn't matter, I'm in a more or less famous translation group and one of our goals is to achieve the best quality translations. The only translation I know of this game is unfinished, without editing the font, etc. And even if there is another one completed out there, I highly doubt that it has the same quality. I even adapted all the rhymes, so they rhyme in Spanish too xD.
It's finished, the font is different from the N64 version, and it rhymes...

...for it is the XBLA version.

Old 22nd July 2009, 07:22 PM
Glowbo

The XBLA version is not in Spanish...

Old 22nd July 2009, 07:26 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
Yes it is.

Old 22nd July 2009, 07:33 PM
Glowbo

I see... So the version I played is a fake... and the version that everyone played in the spanish videogame forums is a fake too... Interesting xD. Maybe all those posts of people moaning because the game is in English was a dream...

You are not confusing Kazooie with Tooie, aren't you?

Old 22nd July 2009, 07:37 PM
Grunty's Reject

INFECTED - B1K1 
If your Xbox 360 settings are set to Spanish, the game should play in Spanish.

User Tag List