Rare Witch Roundtable Podcast
Go Back   The Rare Witch Project Forums > Gaming > Rare & Playtonic

Rare & Playtonic Discuss anything Rare related, from classic Rareware to the Golden(eye) era or even some of their later projects. If it's Rare it's here.

Old 19th May 2014, 04:44 PM
Humba Wumba

Total Awards: 1
INFECTED - B1K1 
More Sad Rare News

20 people laid off due to Rare undergoing "methodology changes", including " long-time programmer Chris Sutherland (Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie) and designer Gavin Price (Viva Pinata)."

http://www.destructoid.com/layoffs-a...e-275071.phtml

Seems Kinect Sports wasn't the hit they thought it would be

Old 19th May 2014, 04:56 PM
Jinjo

Random Award 
Wow. Maybe Rare is really turning around, but in a completely different way then we would have thought. Maybe they are trying to flee from there past and create a new genre of gaming?

But why fire Chris Sutherland? Hes been there for 20 years! He still cares! And he is fired? Really? That was a stupid move on there part. Wasn't he the last Rareware employee remaining?

Old 19th May 2014, 05:11 PM
On DKVine

Total Awards: 6
INFECTED - B2K1 Imagination Wiki-Master Rarity Awesome Default Medal 

Old 19th May 2014, 05:23 PM
Bunnycomb

INFECTED - B1K1 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky447 View Post
But why fire Chris Sutherland? Hes been there for 20 years! He still cares! And he is fired? Really? That was a stupid move on there part. Wasn't he the last Rareware employee remaining?
No, I believe Robin Beanland is still there. Atleast he was the last time Seavor uploaded the last BFD Commentary.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:00 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
So... Rare as we know it is basically completely gone now. Not many OG Rare guys left anymore.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:10 PM
Formerly Edward Rocks

At first everyone thought "Yay, they're starting to get rid of their kinect staff". Then we find out at least 2 of them are senior, longtime employees.

Just be done with it, Microsoft. Close the studio. Put Manor Park for sale. End this misery.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:18 PM
Fired

Total Awards: 3
You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Wait what?! D: NOT CHRIS SUTHERLAND

That settles it. I no longer want a new Banjo game. No, I'm serious, I don't trust Rare to make one anymore, and I've been skeptical about it for a while. Now I just don't even really wanna see one if Rare makes it. Chris was the LEAD programmer for Banjo-Kazooie. Not to mention, he did Banjo and Kazooie's voices.

The only one left from the guys who made Banjo what it is that I know of is Gregg Mayles, assuming he wasn't fired too. I actually do have hope if he's still around, but I don't think he could do it all on his own....

Old 19th May 2014, 06:21 PM
North American Scum

Total Awards: 19
You're Appreciated! Swine Flu Bashful Game On Reminiscence 
Gregg is still with the company... as of this afternoon.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:21 PM
Dingpot

RWP Podcast 
Doesn't say anything about them replacing them right? I mean if they were going to try and hire new people and at least keep the Rare name, I'd be bitter but...at least it'd still be there in spirit. Otherwise, this sounds to me like the beginnings of liquidating the Rare name to eventually kill them off for good, which I'm sure is something a big company like Microsoft would be dumb enough to do.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:26 PM
Fired

You're Appreciated! Grey Note Medal INFECTED - B2K1 
Glad that Gregg's still around. Wonder how he feels.

I wonder what'll happen to Rare's IPs eventually, since Microsoft doesn't particularly care for them, yet doesn't want to give them to their competitors either. But they might sell the IPs, who knows.

Old 19th May 2014, 06:41 PM
Jinjo

Random Award 
This won't end well...

Old 19th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Jinjo

Well the final game I had hope for is Banjo. Rare as we knew it died a long time ago and is now transforming into a different company. I honestly can't trust Rare to make anything from their old days and I think even Microsoft knows that since they gave Killer Instinct to another company with a bad reputation to work on it then yet another company and not Rare. They can't make Banjo without it feeling too different, no Chris Seavor equals no Conker, All of the Perfect Dark devs left and formed Free Radical and even they got bought by another company, Killer Instinct is in the hands of Iron Galaxy, Viva Pinata will no doubt be Kinectified, and The rest are Nintendo IPs. Kameo 2 is my new hope and with the prototypes they showed back then I know they could probably make something good, heck even Jet Force can still be a good game but I doubt they'll pick these over a new Banjo or Perfect Dark first. Final nail in the coffin, Rest in Peace old Rare.

Last edited by kinaibhlan; 19th May 2014 at 07:10 PM.

Old 19th May 2014, 09:28 PM
McLovin

INFECTED - B1K1 Awesome Default Medal Random Award 
I think Chris Allock got sacked too. And yeah...it's very bad news for Rare.

Old 20th May 2014, 01:22 AM
Funk Soul Brother

Total Awards: 7
INFECTED - B2K1 INFECTED - B1K1 Thread Starter RWP Bash Day 10 Participation Award RWP Bash Day 8 Participation Award 
Well, looks like literally everyone from the original Good Rare team is gone. I even had a glimmer of hope when I heard they were going to shift focus away from Kinect games... Ah well, glad to know Rare's just as dead as it has been for awhile now. Hopefully these guys get good jobs, preferably at a company that would appreciate their talents and not, y'know, Rare.

Old 20th May 2014, 01:26 AM
Formerly Edward Rocks

Another one, Mark Stevenson. Artist on the DKC trilogy.

That's it my friends, time to say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSdDsuf-nUU

User Tag List